Inkjet or Laser printer for labels?

LilFirecracker

Personally I like my ink jet printer versus my laser jet. It could be the printer itself, not sure, but I know I can print the same label and to me the ones from my ink jet are more vibrant looking. Now to be honest, I bought my laser jet second hand and that could be the issue right there. The labels aren't bad at all and if I didn't have the other one to compare I probably wouldn't notice it. The big difference that I can see is the cost of the ink is quite a bit more for the laser jet but it lasts way longer than the ink jet ink does. I wish I was more help!

Well, I have only ever used an inkjet. I am using a cheapo canon pixma right now.  I do mean cheap, initial cost only about $40.  For the price it has been a real workhorse.   I use a lot of color on my lables.  I was thinking of upgrading?? to laser, but a color laser printer seems SOOO expensive.  Of course the cost of ink is a factor but I wait for the sales from online ink places and stock up.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, franu61 said:

Well, I have only ever used an inkjet. I am using a cheapo canon pixma right now.  I do mean cheap, initial cost only about $40.  For the price it has been a real workhorse.   I use a lot of color on my lables.  I was thinking of upgrading?? to laser, but a color laser printer seems SOOO expensive.  Of course the cost of ink is a factor but I wait for the sales from online ink places and stock up.  

Where do you usually get your ink? I've been buying mine off of Amazon because I usually run out and don't have any spare ink and need it quick. I also had a canon pixma and it worked well for me for a long time!

• Like 1

We have both, but for most labels we use a color laser printer.  I went this route so I can utilize polyester weatherproof labels for their durability. There are varying degrees of print quality depending on the printer, but most new models should be acceptable.  I've been pleased with the one we have...it's an HP Color Laserjet Pro.  The print quality is better than the previous Brother laser printer we had.  
Once you get over the initial investment, laser is vastly more efficient.

• Like 1

Love my HP color CW1525 laser printer.  I've actually had 2 now.  I've saved the cost of the printer in ink in just a few months.  The ink jets are cheaper but the ink every month will eat up $$ quickly.   On any of the printers you should be able to adjust print quality, while using the best setting uses more ink it produces a bright crisp label. I typically replace my black cart twice a year and the color carts once every 12-18 months.  I do print everything that doesn't need color in grayscale to save that colored ink.

• Like 1

Both.

my HP laser is great for sheets that I can’t get label stock in rolls.

Used to use a typical inkjet printer until I broke a silly non-replaceable fragile gear 🤬. Print quality was nice.

@moonshine convinced me to get a primera label printer a handful of years ago.  Game changer for sure! It is ink, but the ability to print one or 1,000 of a label is great. I have stacks of partially used sheet labels from before this purchase when I had to print an entire sheet for one label 😢

• Like 1

My current printer and the one before are both HP Inkjet ALL-in-One color printers from Walmart. Both under $50 and last a long time. My labels are beautiful and I get lots of compliments on them. I do go through a lot of ink thou, mostly color as my labels are in full colors. So I typically buy at least half a dozen or more color ink cartridges a year. For every 2-3 color I use only 1 black ink cartridge.

I am happy with my labels and the quality of the print.

One thing I don't do is waterproof labels. I think I will need a laserjet for that. You can do them on an inkjet but its problematic as the ink sits on top of the paper and takes time to dry. So I just don't do waterproof labels and I need to because I am doing my bath product labels and really need to start doing waterproof ones.

Anyway, for most labels an inkjet is just fine. The printer is low cost, efficient, and turns out clean, crisp, labels. But if you do a lot of color labels you will be buying color ink cartridges a lot over the year. I do buy XL ink cartridges instead of regular cause they print about double the labels for just a few extra bucks more.

15 hours ago, Candybee said:

My current printer and the one before are both HP Inkjet ALL-in-One color printers from Walmart. Both under $50 and last a long time. My labels are beautiful and I get lots of compliments on them. I do go through a lot of ink thou, mostly color as my labels are in full colors. So I typically buy at least half a dozen or more color ink cartridges a year. For every 2-3 color I use only 1 black ink cartridge.

I am happy with my labels and the quality of the print.

One thing I don't do is waterproof labels. I think I will need a laserjet for that. You can do them on an inkjet but its problematic as the ink sits on top of the paper and takes time to dry. So I just don't do waterproof labels and I need to because I am doing my bath product labels and really need to start doing waterproof ones.

Anyway, for most labels an inkjet is just fine. The printer is low cost, efficient, and turns out clean, crisp, labels. But if you do a lot of color labels you will be buying color ink cartridges a lot over the year. I do buy XL ink cartridges instead of regular cause they print about double the labels for just a few extra bucks more.

That's good to know in case I ever decide to go waterproof! I didn't realize that. I wish I could just go black and white, but the side of me that wants to stand out just won't let me! I will have color, but I'm thinking of just going with inkjet in the beginning. Then if the business takes off I might invest in a laser printer later. Sounds like a good compromise! 😃

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LilFirecracker said:

That's good to know in case I ever decide to go waterproof! I didn't realize that. I wish I could just go black and white, but the side of me that wants to stand out just won't let me! I will have color, but I'm thinking of just going with inkjet in the beginning. Then if the business takes off I might invest in a laser printer later. Sounds like a good compromise! 😃

Oh I do waterproof my labels, I just don't do it with a printer. Instead, I use Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamal spray on my labels. I've tried several different types of water proofing sprays and this one I like the best as it leaves a nice glossy, smooth, finish. You do have to wait for it to dry. Also, if you need extra protection, you can go over it with a second layer. But I find one is usually enough. 

Also, I buy inkjet white photo gloss inkjet labels from Labels by the Sheet. They give me some waterproof protection while still printing clean and crisp. But if I want good waterproofing I follow up with the spray enamal.

You can also use a clear lacquer spray. For a crystal clear lacquer spray I love Rustoleum's Gloss Clear lacquer spray. Either one works great.

Forgot to add you can still opt to buy waterproof labels and test them out on your printer to see if they work. Some printers require you to lower the print resolution or DPI before printing so it uses less ink. This is a third option if you don't want to buy a laser printer or use lacquer/enamel sprays.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Look at it this way, some people hand write on plain white stickers and clean up 😂

or tie a handwritten tag onto the package. 

your options are as simple or complicated as you want them to be.

I want a little better than handwriting because mine sucks!! With the exception of my business name logo I've been working on. I had my 12 year old niece over the other day and she gave me some ideas along with what I already had in mind. What I wanted, you can't find in regular fonts. This is roughly what I've come up with so far. I know it's a little crooked but this was just freehand...

20211124_174532.jpg

I like that your “font” is 100% you. 

One lesson I learned over the years is to make your product stand out in some way. If every person at an event that sold the same product as me put an item on a table would I be able to pick mine out? That is the key in my opinion.

For some people it’s packaging.

For some people it’s color.

For others it’s something I’ve never even thought of.

Be 100% authentically you and people will identify with you. Those people are your customers.

People can get a melt or a candle that they are perfectly satisfied with anywhere. What they’re buying is a piece of you as the artist. That is the beginning of your brand loyalty. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I like that your “font” is 100% you. 

One lesson I learned over the years is to make your product stand out in some way. If every person at an event that sold the same product as me put an item on a table would I be able to pick mine out? That is the key in my opinion.

For some people it’s packaging.

For some people it’s color.

For others it’s something I’ve never even thought of.

Be 100% authentically you and people will identify with you. Those people are your customers.

People can get a melt or a candle that they are perfectly satisfied with anywhere. What they’re buying is a piece of you as the artist. That is the beginning of your brand loyalty. 

Thank you! That's my goal is to try to stand out... especially living in the middle of nowhere! My things will be unique like ME!😃