Pouring Pot Woes

I have a standard 4-lb pour pot that works great if I only put ~2 lbs of wax in it at a time.  If I load it up to ~4 lbs (a full batch for me) I cannot pour wax without it running down the sides.  What have you folks found that works better?  Surely not everyone is only scenting and pouring 2 lbs at a time?  

I have seen a video where they hold a popsicle stick under the spout. I have tried to find the video because when i tried it, it didn't work. I dont use the 4 lb pot only because when i bought it I didn't realize there was a big sticker on the inside that I can't get off to well😒. But it still happens to me sometimes with the smaller pot. 

On 11/19/2021 at 11:41 AM, Lizzy said:

The 4 lb metal pour pots are useless to me. I use a large pitcher mostly. They come in different sizes. Check US Plastics. https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=115049&catid=682&clickid=popcorn

This looks like it could be perfect!  Do you find that the scents don’t stick to it after washing?  That’s been my only concern with plastics

Part of the pouring trick is to keep the pour pot lower than the container for the first half or so of the pour pot.

Line up the jars at the edge of the counter and have the pot lip about even with the top of the jar. I was able to fill tins and melt clams lickety  split this way. 

for candle tools that don’t generally get washed, I turn to metal. At least with metal I can heat gun or sit on a hot plate to keep warm. Restaurant supply houses often have nice solutions.  

• Thanks 1

I have the same problem with the large 4 lb pour pot. I do find that pouring at a lower angle into the jars closest to me works the best. As the wax level lowers I pour into the farther away jars.

I guess my "trick" is to manage to angle the pot at a more horizontal angle to avoid wax dripping down the pot.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, anncal said:

This looks like it could be perfect!  Do you find that the scents don’t stick to it after washing?  That’s been my only concern with plastics

I never had any problems with this. I immediately wipe after pouring and use rubbing alcohol for a second wipe down. Then wash wish Dawn (blue) :) HTH

• Thanks 1

On 11/19/2021 at 12:41 PM, Lizzy said:

The 4 lb metal pour pots are useless to me. I use a large pitcher mostly. They come in different sizes. Check US Plastics. https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=115049&catid=682&clickid=popcorn

I may get some of these for cosmetic formulations. I use palm wax for candles and unfortunately it wouldn't work. I have to keep my pour pot on a flat griddle to keep the wax constantly heated 200-210 degrees. I know I can't put that plastic on a hot griddle plate. So I have to work with pouring techniques to avoid dripping. After many years of working with pouring wax though I have gotten pretty good at not dripping. Just not all the time. Sigh.

I do like the pitchers though and will keep them in mind for other projects where I need an easy pouring vessel.