Polycarbonate Pillar candle mould peeve

Rich

Not sure if this post is in the right place, apologies if not.

Why o why is it not possible to find these moulds in anything over 20 cm tall?

Am i not looking hard enough?

I'm planning on making large floorstanding palm pillars for my conservatory.

Seems like if I'm correct, then I'll be taking matters into my own hands and getting polycarbonate tubing and discs for the tops from...

http://clearplastictube.co.uk/polycarbonate-tube

And

https://www.simplyplastics.com/catalog/discs/polycarbonate-round-discs/clear-polycarbonate-disc/c-24/c-100/p-285

To build my own. If anyone knows of moulds 50 cm tall plus please let me know.

Rich xx

I would be a little concerned about removing them from tall molds made of materials that have the tendency to warp or bow… I have wrestled many a pillar from molds and it is NOT fun at all 😂

for hot waxes, like palm, I’ve always just used seamless metal. Same with sticky waxes, like beeswax. 

I’ve seen some chandlers try schedule 40 or similar plumbing pipes with some success. They would need a lot of testing and silicone release spray to minimize sticking from imperfect surface of the pipes. 

Thanx for your input.

I'm going to be brave and have orded some 130 x 500 x 5 polycarb tube. The good thing here is the poly wall  thickness is greater than that of any Exxagon mould so should be as rigid as glass.

• Like 1

Would love to read your experience with it. Many of us make pillars in pal, paraffin or beeswax.  Options other than typical candle supply houses are always interesting! 

I’m a potter, and am always eyeing things to use that I already have, versus buying. It’s like a game 😊

I'll keep this thread updated, expecting my polycarbonate supplies and adhesives to arrive next Thursday. Should be really easy to bond 5mm tube to the end pieces cleanly. 

• Like 1

Wow! I'd be interested too in your efforts mainly out of curiosity. Like how do you bond the discs to the tube, how do you make sure its sealed, smooth, and what you plan to use for a wax release. Plus how do you plan to wick? Make a wick hole or use wick pins? Would also love to see side by side pics of your newly made mold with a candle you made. I love seeing innovation at work and new ideas.

Edited by Candybee

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.