Fragrance Oils Volume vs Weight

PalmettoScentWorks

I was looking to order some FO from Nature’s Garden, but I notice theirs are measured in fluid ounces, whereas most other places measure them by weight. Just curious, from those that have bought FO by volume vs weight, I was wondering how much of a difference there is. My guess is that FO would be heavier than water, so if I’m looking to buy 1 lb of FO, what would the approximate fl oz be?

9 minutes ago, PalmettoScentWorks said:

I was looking to order some FO from Nature’s Garden, but I notice theirs are measured in fluid ounces, whereas most other places measure them by weight. Just curious, from those that have bought FO by volume vs weight, I was wondering how much of a difference there is. My guess is that FO would be heavier than water, so if I’m looking to buy 1 lb of FO, what would the approximate fl oz be?

Natures garden is pretty good at posting their product  data sheets. You should be able to find the specific gravity of each fragrance in the technical documents.

WSP is great about providing that info in the tech documents. 

Some are much lighter than water, like orange (or lemon or similar citrus) or sandalwood. 

For retail sale labeling in the US fluids are “supposed” to be measured in fluid ounces. This is contradictory to how we buy fragrance from the lab which is by weight.