Removing melts from your warmer dish

LilFirecracker

Hope everyone had an awesome weekend! I was talking about my testing the other day. I've seen various ways that everyone deals with removing wax from the warmer dish. Some really don't care if it pops out, if they have to pour it out while hot, or if they have to put it in the freezer for a few minutes to get it to come out. Obviously it would be better (not to mention a great little selling point) if it popped out easily. So I'd like to take a little poll 😃

On a scale of 1 to 5, how important is it to you for the wax to be easily popped out of your warmer dish when you're ready to change scents?

TIA to everyone who participates!

Ok question: What exactly does "pop right out" entail? Are we talking flip it and it just falls out? Push with your fingers and it slides out? Or take a spoon or knife and push it into the edge and pop it out that way? 

I know this seems a little trivial, but it's important to me. 

The shape of the melter cup plays a role.  The halogen lamp one have has a well with a lip, so none would pop out no matter the consistency. I have to get it warm to peel out the wax, or dump liquid hot wax. 

the older dish style I like to pop out in one piece. Pushing it to free from the dish was preferable to having to find a spot in the freezer to later pop out. The freezer drawer can be dicey to find a spot that won’t ram it broken to bits. 

neither is a deal breaker if the melt smells nice for a decent amount of time. 

the one thing I dislike is sticky feeling melts out of the package.  Not the end of the world though. 

• Like 2

You already know my feelings about it. I prefer the melt to push right out of the melter with one finger. Mine do. I have bought melts that had to be poured out when still liquid otherwise you had to dig them out. No thanks! Plus I just don't think I should have to bother to put the dish with the melt in the freezer to get it out. Pain in the butt I think. Nope, I only want melts that come out whole with a simple push.

TT brings up an important issue though, sometimes the type of melter can present a challenge to releasing a melt. But more often than not its typically the type of wax used. If you are going to make and sell wax melts get a wax that releases from the melter easily. Then as a side sell a good brand of melters that both heats and releases melts properly so you are giving your customers the best.

I really hate those crap melters that use a low wattage utility bulb or melters with tin or metallic bowls. Watch out for those melters. Doesn't Scentsy sell those melters that use the low wattage bulbs and then they claim that only their melts will work in them. Pfft! If you are moron enough to buy one of their overpriced underperforming melters and wax melts you deserve to waste your money. Sorry I got off track there.

47 minutes ago, Candybee said:

You already know my feelings about it. I prefer the melt to push right out of the melter with one finger. Mine do. I have bought melts that had to be poured out when still liquid otherwise you had to dig them out. No thanks! Plus I just don't think I should have to bother to put the dish with the melt in the freezer to get it out. Pain in the butt I think. Nope, I only want melts that come out whole with a simple push.

TT brings up an important issue though, sometimes the type of melter can present a challenge to releasing a melt. But more often than not its typically the type of wax used. If you are going to make and sell wax melts get a wax that releases from the melter easily. Then as a side sell a good brand of melters that both heats and releases melts properly so you are giving your customers the best.

I really hate those crap melters that use a low wattage utility bulb or melters with tin or metallic bowls. Watch out for those melters. Doesn't Scentsy sell those melters that use the low wattage bulbs and then they claim that only their melts will work in them. Pfft! If you are moron enough to buy one of their overpriced underperforming melters and wax melts you deserve to waste your money. Sorry I got off track there.

LOL!! That's easy to do when I get on that subject with that naughty "S" word 🤣 Your reply to my other post is what made me start thinking about this subject and it's importance in the finished product. I'm getting some killer scent throws right now, but these are the ones that take a little coaxing to get them out. There's still a chance one or 2 might end up popping out by the time I'm finished. I'm having absolutely no trouble with them sliding right out of the clams... Score!! 😃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

The shape of the melter cup plays a role.  The halogen lamp one have has a well with a lip, so none would pop out no matter the consistency. I have to get it warm to peel out the wax, or dump liquid hot wax. 

the older dish style I like to pop out in one piece. Pushing it to free from the dish was preferable to having to find a spot in the freezer to later pop out. The freezer drawer can be dicey to find a spot that won’t ram it broken to bits. 

neither is a deal breaker if the melt smells nice for a decent amount of time. 

the one thing I dislike is sticky feeling melts out of the package.  Not the end of the world though. 

Since I've been trying to go for a lower MP combo to work in the lower wattage warmers, I don't think I'll have a problem with them hardening too much in the dish. Trying to find that happy medium between having to pop it out with a spoon or knife and having to scoop it out like a thick peanut butter 🤣

I'm finally gonna be putting that Dragon's Blood in wax today.... I can't wait!!!! ❤️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bfroberts said:

I use the cotton ball method to remove from my warmers so that part isn't a concern.  But I do use clamshells and it is important to me - a solid 5 - that they break and release from the clam cleanly.  I despise soft sticky melts.

You and me both! That's the first thing is test for is consistency and release. I test in both clamshells and my mini-melts in a silicone mold. They have to stay firm when squeezed between my fingers. I'm loving 4625 for keeping things firm! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LilFirecracker said:

Ok question: What exactly does "pop right out" entail? Are we talking flip it and it just falls out? Push with your fingers and it slides out? Or take a spoon or knife and push it into the edge and pop it out that way? 

I know this seems a little trivial, but it's important to me. 

After the fridge I take a butter knife and stab it in the middle, it cracks like in 3 pc's and done.

On 11/15/2021 at 12:02 PM, Karen Ov said:

After the fridge I take a butter knife and stab it in the middle, it cracks like in 3 pc's and done.

LOL great way to expel a little bit of frustration with that stabbing!😂

Right now I'm having a bit of trouble with the hundred combos I'm testing. I have a couple that'll slide right out of my little plug-in warmer with no effort at all. I have a 25 watt bulb warmer that barely melts the wax no matter how low the melt point is, but they'll slide right out of that dish (metal.) I have another 25 watt ceramic bulb warmer, but it's a square one and the throw isn't all that great in that one either. I'm tempted to put a 40 watt in it. The only one I love is my 2pc electric plate warmer from Wal-Mart so I'll probably go invest in another one for testing. 

On 11/16/2021 at 2:49 PM, LilFirecracker said:

LOL great way to expel a little bit of frustration with that stabbing!😂

Right now I'm having a bit of trouble with the hundred combos I'm testing. I have a couple that'll slide right out of my little plug-in warmer with no effort at all. I have a 25 watt bulb warmer that barely melts the wax no matter how low the melt point is, but they'll slide right out of that dish (metal.) I have another 25 watt ceramic bulb warmer, but it's a square one and the throw isn't all that great in that one either. I'm tempted to put a 40 watt in it. The only one I love is my 2pc electric plate warmer from Wal-Mart so I'll probably go invest in another one for testing. 

Im not sure what watt my bulb is, i have an electric melter from walmart with a glass dish, I love it. I dont care to much for tealight melters.