Microcrystalline??

LilFirecracker

Micro waxes are a BIG class of product. Basically, they are like a super small moleculeversion of petroleum based wax used to  “fill in holes” between other wax molecules. it can raise or lower melt points of the other waxes in the blend you use. It can be a plasticizer, can change viscosity of the melted wax, or harden wax. 

The effects of micro waxes and polymers (like vybar and polyboost products) change how the candles set up and cools down and handle changes to ambient temps and humidity. In the case of some naked soy waxes I use, it can control or minimize the granular appearance that forms over time as the soy molecules dry and grow through normal crystallization. Too little does nothing.  Too much can ruin a perfectly good burn.  The tolerances are quite low in most waxes, like fractions of a %.

in your melts I would say the micro wax will do little depending on the problem you are trying to fix. but I always advocate trying it out to learn from the proces. 

@Brad Ford of Clarus has been so kind through the years to spend time explaining these products on the phone. Maybe he will see this call out and reply to correct my undetailed understanding.

here’s a fun link I learned a lot from:

https://igiwax.com/wp-content/uploads/bsk-pdf-manager/NCA_Presentation-Microcrystalline_Wax_use_in_Candles_6.pdf

and a link to a producer. Note the melt point and softness have no direct link. A soft micro wax can have a high melt point and Vice Versa. 

https://blendedwaxes.com/product/microcrystalline-wax/

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Micro waxes are a BIG class of product. Basically, they are like a super small moleculeversion of petroleum based wax used to  “fill in holes” between other wax molecules. it can raise or lower melt points of the other waxes in the blend you use. It can be a plasticizer, can change viscosity of the melted wax, or harden wax. 

The effects of micro waxes and polymers (like vybar and polyboost products) change how the candles set up and cools down and handle changes to ambient temps and humidity. In the case of some naked soy waxes I use, it can control or minimize the granular appearance that forms over time as the soy molecules dry and grow through normal crystallization. Too little does nothing.  Too much can ruin a perfectly good burn.  The tolerances are quite low in most waxes, like fractions of a %.

in your melts I would say the micro wax will do little depending on the problem you are trying to fix. but I always advocate trying it out to learn from the proces. 

@Brad Ford of Clarus has been so kind through the years to spend time explaining these products on the phone. Maybe he will see this call out and reply to correct my undetailed understanding.

here’s a fun link I learned a lot from:

https://igiwax.com/wp-content/uploads/bsk-pdf-manager/NCA_Presentation-Microcrystalline_Wax_use_in_Candles_6.pdf

and a link to a producer. Note the melt point and softness have no direct link. A soft micro wax can have a high melt point and Vice Versa. 

https://blendedwaxes.com/product/microcrystalline-wax/

Clarus is the site where I found all of those Microcrystalline waxes! I've seen them before on other sites, but they only offered like 1 or 2 and were always 180-190 MP. Clarus had so many choices including the lower MP that interested me. Honestly, I'm not really sure what I want it to do. I'm just really interested in it because of the pliability it offers according to some posts I've read. I'm thinking maybe it would make some of my higher MP wax combos that I'm testing more useable. I'd like better scent throw, but it doesn't seem like it would help with that. UNLESS... If I would have a combo that throws well but is too hard to melt in low wattage warmers? Idk... Just tossing ideas around in my head. I'm not home to check my mail but I think my DB oil should be there today. Can't wait to try it!!! 😃

• Like 1