Inclination of the wick 

Hello, I have a question again.
The wicks of my 2-wick candles (so far only for my own consumption) do not always tilt in the optimal direction after the first lighting. The distances of the wicks are well centered, but if both wicks tilt in the same direction, it happens that one side of the glass is a little hotter and the wax melts faster there. In larger containers, this is not quite as troublesome. But I would like to use containers with an oval diameter and there I already see a problem. So far, I have sometimes plumbed the wicks in my round containers during the burning process, but that's just a solution for me, it wouldn't be so good for selling the candles, I think. Or am I being too picky?
Is there a way to tell the direction of a wick's tilt before it is inserted, or to influence the direction of the tilt?
For my wax mixture I use small LX wicks.

Kind regards 
Simone 

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Flat braided wicks have 2 sides.

If you look closely, one side has braid that looks like stacked letter “V”.

The other side has upside down “V”.  I call this side the mountain.

The curl usually goes toward the upside down “V” (mountain)  side. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thank you very much for your answer. You seem to be a very experienced mentor in candle making with much to learn from. Thank you for sharing your experience. 
I immediately applied your tip to test candles and it worked beautifully. Although it is a bit of a hassle with wicks that are completely encased in wax ( like the LX wicks I used), fortunately the wicks are long enough.
I lightly scraped off the wax at the top about 1 cm until the "V" -side and the "BERG" side was visible In the meantime, I have prepared all the wicks I need for my 2-wick candles and marked the BERG side on the metal holder so that inserting the wicks is quicker. 

Best wishes and have a nice weekend...
Simone 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lori berlin said:

Thank you very much for your answer. You seem to be a very experienced mentor in candle making with much to learn from. Thank you for sharing your experience. 
I immediately applied your tip to test candles and it worked beautifully. Although it is a bit of a hassle with wicks that are completely encased in wax ( like the LX wicks I used), fortunately the wicks are long enough.
I lightly scraped off the wax at the top about 1 cm until the "V" -side and the "BERG" side was visible In the meantime, I have prepared all the wicks I need for my 2-wick candles and marked the BERG side on the metal holder so that inserting the wicks is quicker. 

Best wishes and have a nice weekend...
Simone 

Usually you can tell a pattern when you look at the crimp on the wick tab.

The tab crimping  machine feeds a wick yarn spool in one direction. Look at the tab to see which side has the dimple from the crimping machine. The “V” or upside down “V” will be on one side of the crimp or the other usually. Once you se the pattern on your wicks it should be easier than scraping the wax prime. Orient the tabs, then point the crimps in opposite directions and you should be set. 

• Like 1

On 8.10.2021 at 19:13, TallTayl said:

Normalerweise können Sie ein Muster erkennen, wenn Sie sich die Crimpung auf der Dochtlasche ansehen.

Die Laschenkräuselmaschine führt eine Dochtgarnspule in eine Richtung zu. Schauen Sie auf die Lasche, um zu sehen, welche Seite das Grübchen der Crimpmaschine hat. Das „V“ oder das umgekehrte „V“ befindet sich normalerweise auf der einen oder der anderen Seite des Crimps. Sobald Sie das Muster auf Ihren Dochten sehen, sollte es einfacher sein, als die Wachsgrundierung abzukratzen. Richten Sie die Laschen aus, zeigen Sie dann die Crimps in entgegengesetzte Richtungen und Sie sollten eingestellt sein. 

Great tip !!! Many, many thanks. 🤗

• Like 1