GK444 Soy Wax Melts no hot throw :(

Kay P

So I initially was working with GK444 soy wax as I wanted to use them for my candles but frosting was just so hard for me to eliminate and wasn't getting the throw I needed. So I decided to make wax melts with it since it is sturdy enough to hold the molds shape. However after testing : 6% FO, 9% FO, 10 % FO, and 11.5% FO along with the recommended mixing temperature 185F as well as low temperature mixing 140F. I'm just not getting hot throw. I also used different FO from WoodenWick, Candle Cocoon, Aztec, and Flaming Candle. I've been testing for 6 months now and still not getting that hot throw. I'm thinking of adding vybar from what I've heard from others or paraffin but I'm reluctant to adding paraffin since a lot from my target market turns away when I say it's a para-soy blend. 😔

31 minutes ago, Kay P said:

So I initially was working with GK444 soy wax as I wanted to use them for my candles but frosting was just so hard for me to eliminate and wasn't getting the throw I needed. So I decided to make wax melts with it since it is sturdy enough to hold the molds shape. However after testing : 6% FO, 9% FO, 10 % FO, and 11.5% FO along with the recommended mixing temperature 185F as well as low temperature mixing 140F. I'm just not getting hot throw. I also used different FO from WoodenWick, Candle Cocoon, Aztec, and Flaming Candle. I've been testing for 6 months now and still not getting that hot throw. I'm thinking of adding vybar from what I've heard from others or paraffin but I'm reluctant to adding paraffin since a lot from my target market turns away when I say it's a para-soy blend. 😔

444 used to be great.  Since GB moved production to Central American in 2016 it has been hit or miss - mostly miss. I had one case that was so wet from faulty hydrogen atoms injecting water into the wax it practically dripped. When it dried out it was brittle and barely burned at all. Total waste. 

Adding vybar will not solve throw issues in wax like 444. Vybar is like glue, and is already in the wax. More glue does not help existing glue release fragrance.

• Mind Blown 1

@Kay P

It's almost impossible to get decent HT out of any 100% soy wax.  We will need to add something to make them perform better, but vybar is not the solution.  If your targeted market is against using paraffin, then 5% palm works really well.  Some others add coconut wax.  Just don't add too much.  Soy wax will frost over time when they are exposed to the lights.  Only way to prevent it is to use colored packaging that can block lights.

If your targeted market is the one who does not like paraffin, then you are dealing with the hardest to deal with group.  It's only a small group that are unpredictable and does not have proper candle knowledge.  And also, you will be competing against other candle makers who will be lying about their ingredients.  I make soy candles, but that is one market that I don't want to target myself.  There are so many other targets that we can sell lots of candles without hassle.😉

19 minutes ago, BusyBee said:

@Kay P

It's almost impossible to get decent HT out of any 100% soy wax.  We will need to add something to make them perform better, but vybar is not the solution.  If your targeted market is against using paraffin, then 5% palm works really well.  Some others add coconut wax.  Just don't add too much.  Soy wax will frost over time when they are exposed to the lights.  Only way to prevent it is to use colored packaging that can block lights.

If your targeted market is the one who does not like paraffin, then you are dealing with the hardest to deal with group.  It's only a small group that are unpredictable and does not have proper candle knowledge.  And also, you will be competing against other candle makers who will be lying about their ingredients.  I make soy candles, but that is one market that I don't want to target myself.  There are so many other targets that we can sell lots of candles without hassle.😉

Hi, thank you for your advice! Yes! I initially used paraffin in my melts, using parasoy blend and the HT was what I got used to then after giving out some testers. Some of my potential customers, had concerns with paraffin so I decided to work with pure soy these last 8 months researching and testing for about 6 months and I am so disappointed in the HT. I honestly love my clients around me but for some as much as I try to explain it to them, they are still against it due to something they read online or they friend said...etc.. 😩

I will try palm oil. Thank you again!

8 hours ago, TallTayl said:

444 used to be great.  Since GB moved production to Central American in 2016 it has been hit or miss - mostly miss. I had one case that was so wet from faulty hydrogen atoms injecting water into the wax it practically dripped. When it dried out it was brittle and barely burned at all. Total waste. 

Adding vybar will not solve throw issues in wax like 444. Vybar is like glue, and is already in the wax. More glue does not help existing glue release fragrance.

this makes a lot of sense thank you! I've been getting a miss for my last 2 batches and honestly I don't know how people make 100% soy wax melts and get a decent HT. 😢

28 minutes ago, Kay P said:

Hi, thank you for your advice! Yes! I initially used paraffin in my melts, using parasoy blend and the HT was what I got used to then after giving out some testers. Some of my potential customers, had concerns with paraffin so I decided to work with pure soy these last 8 months researching and testing for about 6 months and I am so disappointed in the HT. I honestly love my clients around me but for some as much as I try to explain it to them, they are still against it due to something they read online or they friend said...etc.. 😩

I will try palm oil. Thank you again!

I add palm wax not the palm oil.  I am not sure if there is going to be difference in those two.