Why is my wax turning brown after burning?

I am trying to find the optimal balance between strong hot throw and my wax not turning a gross brownish color after burning. The candle in question is a vanilla cake candle with no color dye - 8% FO - and I’m trying various blends of 6006 and 4627 together with LX wicks, premier wicks and zinc core wicks. The more (paraffin) 4627, the easier the wax burns and the darker brown it turns. The hotter the wick (LX>Premier>Zinc), the easier the wax burns and the darker brown it turns. I’ve made so many candles, and I’m seriously struggling at this point. A 50/50 blend of 6006/4627 with zinc core wick provides essentially no browning or burning of the wax, but with a throw that isn’t strong enough for me. A 75/25 blend of 6006/4627 with LX 14 wicks provides great throw, but the wax burns and browns and starts to smell burnt and sooty. Why does this happen? Is it the vanillin burning? Is it the wax burning? Does anyone have any experience or advice with this scenario? I would sincerely appreciate it. 

Edited by INEDINCRED88
Spelling

On 9/16/2021 at 11:12 PM, INEDINCRED88 said:

I am trying to find the optimal balance between strong hot throw and my wax not turning a gross brownish color after burning. The candle in question is a vanilla cake candle with no color dye - 8% FO - and I’m trying various blends of 6006 and 4627 together with LX wicks, premier wicks and zinc core wicks. The more (paraffin) 4627, the easier the wax burns and the darker brown it turns. The hotter the wick (LX>Premier>Zinc), the easier the wax burns and the darker brown it turns. I’ve made so many candles, and I’m seriously struggling at this point. A 50/50 blend of 6006/4627 with zinc core wick provides essentially no browning or burning of the wax, but with a throw that isn’t strong enough for me. A 75/25 blend of 6006/4627 with LX 14 wicks provides great throw, but the wax burns and browns and starts to smell burnt and sooty. Why does this happen? Is it the vanillin burning? Is it the wax burning? Does anyone have any experience or advice with this scenario? I would sincerely appreciate it. 

As soon as I read “vanilla”….you had my empathy. I have avoided all vanilla FO for this reason.

Thanks for all your replies. Vanilla seems to be very hard to work with, but what is confusing me is that all the research I do seems to indicate the turning brown is normal but the vanilla smelling sooty and Smokey upon all successive “relights“ is not normal. I’m just wondering why this is so difficult? I mean Yankee and BBW feature vanilla in their candles all the time and it doesn’t smell like burnt sooty vanilla. I will try everyone’s suggestions, from smaller wicks to other vanilla blends to see what I come up with. Thanks again, all. 

Generally speaking, I have no problems with vanilla scents or FO's that contain vanillin, other than the normal discoloration that comes from using the darker oils.  Discoloration when burning is usually due to wick debris or a wick that is too hot IME, and it can happen regardless of vanillin.  

5 hours ago, bfroberts said:

Generally speaking, I have no problems with vanilla scents or FO's that contain vanillin, other than the normal discoloration that comes from using the darker oils.  Discoloration when burning is usually due to wick debris or a wick that is too hot IME, and it can happen regardless of vanillin.  

That helps - Could you maybe give some examples on waxes and wicks you use? I’ve wasted hundreds of dollars in supplies making candles that are awful and I could really use some direction. 

10 hours ago, INEDINCRED88 said:

That helps - Could you maybe give some examples on waxes and wicks you use? I’ve wasted hundreds of dollars in supplies making candles that are awful and I could really use some direction. 

I use several waxes depending on the client, but for various parasoy's I use Eco and CD mostly.  For my paraffins, I use mostly LX.