Best EO’s for Liquid Soap

NightLight

I got frustrated and gave up on liquid soap a while ago because many fragrances and EO’s were so problematic. But I prefer liquid soap at the sinks.

Lavender made mine turn into a gel blob. Citrus of any kind made it watery thin. Soooo frustrating. 

I’m a weirdo who loves patchouli, or just Unscented hand soap. In the kitchen, lemon. 

Pretty sure the issues are soap formula related. Mine didn’t cloud like yours, and yours didn’t seize like mine. 

I found if you super fat more than 2 per cent it makes it hard to add fragrance without clouding and other.

Lavender and peppermint have worked for me. Searched soapmakers forum but little Info there.

Solubilizer can help but trying to avoid.

http://alaiynab.blogspot.com/2013/09/adventures-in-liquid-soapmaking-hints.html

So far the following have worked well for me without a solubizer:

- Lavender EO
 - Peppermint EO
 - Rosemary EO
 - Fresh Mango (Brambleberry)
 - Tropical Vacation (Brambleberry - clouds up at first and takes several days to clear)
 - Lime EO
 - White Tea and Ginger (Brambleberry)
 - Awapuhi (Elements Bath and Body)
 - Coconut Cybilla (Brambleberry)
 - Apricot Freesia (Wholesale Supplies Plus) - this is my absolute favorite.
 - Dancing Waters and April Showers (Wholesale Supplies Plus)
 - Lime Ginger (Elements Bath and Body)
 - Bamboo Sugarcane (Elements Bath 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I have seen that video.

If you go to the website, she has good info on making liquid soap.

I find it very easy to make paste. I do glycerin method and soap comes together very fast.

I don’t like a pure Castile but do more coconut with some olive oil thrown in.

1 hour ago, NightLight said:

If you go to the website, she has good info on making liquid soap.

I find it very easy to make paste. I do glycerin method and soap comes together very fast.

I don’t like a pure Castile but do more coconut with some olive oil thrown in.

Thank you for sharing. Oh yea another 🧼🧴 rabbit hole! 🎉 I love it! 😆  

Much also depends on the oils used in the soap itself. Lavender has flat out caused my liquid soap to seize into a gel with many oil combos. most scents containing citrus have caused soap and surfactant liquid blends to immediately turn watery thin.

Sometimes the chemical reaction takes a couple of days to get thickened or thinned.  Liquid soap has been my least favorite to offer for sale. So frustrating.  I don’t care if for personal use, but can rely on for sale. I guess a way around it is to use the former bottles.

• Like 1

Yes with HEC .5 per cent, works great. You can use coco betaine, or salt but the HEC works the best. 

http://alaiynab.blogspot.com/search/label/tutorial

See link above for tutorials!

If you sub some of the water with glycerin you can make soap paste very quickly.

I do a 10 or 20 percent olive oil, to Coconut oil. 

I like it better as it’s not so olive oil smelling obviously. Makes great body soap, hand soap

I do use part Glycerin. Full glycerin never fully dissolved the potassium hydroxide in my shop.

HEC always ended up in a blob in the final aged product. tried several different sources and methods and couldn’t master it. I guess I should try again.

Ok I forgot to add, for HEC or similar thickener the key is to disperse powder into some glycerin then add soap or water. Allow to hydrate very well. Just leave overnight to make sure then stick blend. Use some heat. See blog for instructions. Most of the gums I use work better after being in glycerin solution then water added, then heat helps hydration.

I don’t use full glycerin, just part. Works better than just water or full glycerin.

http://alaiynab.blogspot.com/2014/03/thickening-liquid-soap-with.html#more

I do not go over 1 per cent of HEC for thickening, but that’s personal choice. You obviously can make a very thick soap gel with it.

45 minutes ago, NightLight said:

Ok I forgot to add, for HEC or similar thickener the key is to disperse powder into some glycerin then add soap or water. Allow to hydrate very well. Just leave overnight to make sure then stick blend. Use some heat. See blog for instructions. Most of the gums I use work better after being in glycerin solution then water added, then heat helps hydration.

I don’t use full glycerin, just part. Works better than just water or full glycerin.

http://alaiynab.blogspot.com/2014/03/thickening-liquid-soap-with.html#more

I do not go over 1 per cent of HEC for thickening, but that’s personal choice. You obviously can make a very thick soap gel with it.

l’ll give it a try again. Liquid soap can be quite fun to make - when it works well 😂

I’ve purchased prehydrated HEC and HPMC from a cosmetic supply and it too ended up in a thick layer of rubbery feeling stuff that reminded me of a kombucha SCOBY after a few days.  Tried heating and mixing the blobby blend and it too settled into a solid gel mass after a few days.  I figured I just didn’t have the touch. 

Curiosity got the better of me this morning so I quick like a bunny heated up some paste with HPMC dispersed in glycerin.  It got super bubbly and didn’t drop back, so like the brain addled squirrel I can be, I added more diluting water and reheated.  Better - at least the main bubbles formed a distinct layer. The first round was at 1% of the total in the pot.  After diluting more it was more like 0.7%. I may have taken it too far as it felt a bit thin

I pulled a random liquid soap from a mason jar and have no idea what formula it was, so the experiment was just for funsies.  It was fun playing and washing my hands with liquid soap.  The cellulose seemed to help build a little more lather. Whyyyyyy does liquid soap have to be so darned drying 😭 on the bright side I would sell more hand lotion, so….

The HPMC did cloud the final product a bit. Does that clear with more time in your formula?

in the end, my goal was always to offer liquid soap in a ceramic thrown bottle, so clarity isn’t the most important thing. It is a fine goal though.

• Like 1