Wood wick advice

TiffanyyLynn

Hi all, I'm having trouble choosing a wood wick for my candles that I'm making for my wedding favors. The left is using a .03 x .25" crackling wick which is what was recommended for this size vessel and the right is .02 x .25". I feel like the .03 flame is too large as it gets a full melt pool in about 30 minutes but (correct me if I'm wrong) the .02 flame seems small. Pictures are taken after about 2.5 hours and have both been burned a few times previously in 1-2 hour increments. I'm leaning towards the .02 just for safety reasons. Vessel is 4oz straight sided jar from Flaming Candle Co. Any advice is appreciated!cwyxwBV.jpgW6dWLH0.jpg

oh boy you picked two very difficult variables to balance: small jar and wooden wick!

The left appears as if it will continue to grow further down as the convection heats things up incrementally.

The right is struggling.

What wax are you using? One option is to use the 0.03, but add a small % of a harder to burn wax to slow it down just enough. OR... Taper the 0.03" so it is narrower than the 1/4" width at the critical points.

One note about wooden wicks on any project, they are not identical out of the bag. Wood is a natural product that varies from location to location in the tree itself. If these are the first candles made, perhaps make several more to ensure these wicks are more representative of the packages. I have pulled three wicks from the same pack, made three candles and you would swear that they were entirely different wick sizes. It is super frustrating.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TallTayl said:

oh boy you picked two very difficult variables to balance: small jar and wooden wick!

The left appears as if it will continue to grow further down as the convection heats things up incrementally.

The right is struggling.

What wax are you using? One option is to use the 0.03, but add a small % of a harder to burn wax to slow it down just enough. OR... Taper the 0.03" so it is narrower than the 1/4" width at the critical points.

I'm definitely leaning more towards the right (.02) wick since the left is much too dangerous (flame is too big, jar too hot, etc.) and the right hasn't drowned once in my testing and I have no problems with it other than the flame looking on the smaller side. I'm using ProBlend 600. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Newcandlemaker

Hello - I had a similar problem with wicking, I was going crazy, I had tested 5 wicks with 1 vessel and could not get one to work, even though I swear the wax is the same (apricot coconut) and the wicks have worked before. I did not wait the 2 wks this time as I was wanted to test the burn, and even after 24 hrs its sooo much better. I still not loving how the whisper 02 .635in burns in a 3in container, but its better then my initial burn test where it was turning black. Also, the guide at Wooden Wick Co did not seem to light up at all on what I was seeing in my tests.