Candle Sweating 😥 only 6 per cent fragrance

This is making me crazy. Granted it’s the summer, but I have candle sweat. Good technique, fo only at 6 per cent.

should I add fragrance higher than 180? Given stir it in well. Thoughts? Heat is making me mad with the issue.

it seems some fragrance more prone to this than others. Additive?

1 hour ago, NightLight said:

Igi.coco paraffin and 415

Cocoparaffin like 6046? If so, that one maybe has a whiff of coconut oil in it, the rest paraffin. 

do you have any universal soy additive? 2% with old 415 made a near perfect soy candle (before the soy mess) 

I had a giant bag once hahah. Will try find a small one see if it helps. Though this weather and humidity are not helping.

I know what you mean 😒

another option is a bit of polymer, like polyboost or vybar. I used polyboost 130 in a sweat prone coconut at a very low % and it really helped overall.

otherwise, if you have a different soy in the 4 series, like 464, or 444 those may help as they have the soy additive in it already. Or C3. C3 has salvaged some unstable blends for me. 

I just bought some vybar and usa to see if they would help. The candles that are sweating are test candles so may not have stirred in well enough. I was trying Flamings 400 and that wax was sweating like crazy, so ditched that.

I liked it but not good in heat at least for me. Never heard of poly post but will check it out.

42 minutes ago, NightLight said:

Polyboost is hard to find except ordering through Clarus or Let is shine which charges fortune shipping.

Going to try and get sample from Clarus.

It sure is! I bought a lb each from LIS. If you cannot get a sample from CLarus, let me know and I will send you a bit of each from what I got.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks  to you all, for all the info, I usually just read and have rarely posted over the years.

But here's my 2 cents worth:

I've been test burning IGI 6046  this past 14 months, burned many candles and I've found that in warm temps (80+) this wax will sweat, even in my  candles containing no FO I can get sweating if temps are warm enough, long enough. 

The oil that comes to the top is not straight FO IMO.  When I've put a sweaty candle into the fridge the oily beads  harden like melted coconut oil would if put in a cool place.   I can heat gun the top of sweaty candle and once they resolidify, the oily beads are gone only and will only reappear if the temps get warm again.  

Just my experience😊

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Never had issues with waxes before, but it’s not one wax a couple but now I have found if I bring temp up to 185 - 200 and let wax hang there for 3-5 minutes add fragrance oil and stir it seems to work the wax and fo. Some of the waxes, seem to need tempering to work better. Annoying as all heck.

• Thanks 1

I had the same problem as you, and thanks to the responses on this forum, I was able to solve it. After reading a few articles on this candle website, I wanted to learn how to make candles this year, but I couldn't find a solution to the problem of sweating candles. I looked on other forums for answers, but only this one provided valuable information.

On 10/22/2021 at 7:11 AM, NightLight said:

Never had issues with waxes before, but it’s not one wax a couple but now I have found if I bring temp up to 185 - 200 and let wax hang there for 3-5 minutes add fragrance oil and stir it seems to work the wax and fo. Some of the waxes, seem to need tempering to work better. Annoying as all heck.

Heating and holding makes total sense. The additives used in candle waxes need some dwell time to fully mix. 

during a discussion with wax formulator, they shared that wax blends are routinely heated and held 15-30 minutes to fully melt and mix all components.

This in part explains why the advice from people like Stella in old soy wax threads works.  Heat the wax, let it cool and heat again. She did it to reduce graining, etc, in soy wax.  When I really thought about it, she was releasing latent moisture from the natural wax, and rebounding the additives to become more stable in the final candles. 

look back at this thread and post:

reheating this terrible mess made a wonderful looking candle that burned well. All of the additives finally had time to fully merge and became perfectly stable 

all of the advice to barely heat soy wax, add FO at low temps, etc make the candle vulnerable to instability, pooling, fragrance “drift” etc. 

Heating and holding at 185 - 200 depending on the wax. Did not like polyboost. Caused more problems with appearance. Heating higher than I normally have and sitting with pot has worked really well. 

Polyboost looks plastic if too high.  And too high is like 0.5% 😬

in some FO / wax combos the polyboost was a miracle.  a midwest wax with PB 130 (at way too high of a rate) was the strongest I ever smelled of the tester FO I always use. It looked puckered and plastic when it cooled. Woops.

In others nothing noticeable happened.  

In one blend it completely cured the “dew” on a coconut blend so it would withstand wide temp swings and direct sunshine on a concrete patio.  the candle melted very smoothly while burning, and ended up needing a wick down of several sizes. 

candles are weird. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/25/2021 at 3:21 PM, NightLight said:

Heating and holding at 185 - 200 depending on the wax. Did not like polyboost. Caused more problems with appearance. Heating higher than I normally have and sitting with pot has worked really well. 

So you are heating a holding IGI 6046 before adding fo to help with sweating?  Or are you heating a holding a blend of IGI 6046 and the soy wax  (cant remember which soy wax you mentioned) to keep the candle from sweating?