So many of my favorite FOs are now accelerating fast!

Candybee

Anyone else experiencing this? FOs that I have used for years are now accelerating on me and fast too! I have to assume that they have each been reformulated. I have not changed my soap recipes and am using the same oils and other tried and true ingredients. For the past couple of years I am experiencing this again and again with FOs I have been using for years. 

Its getting to where about 50-75% of my soaping FOs I may have to switch out or find a completely new one. Its so frustrating and beyond sad. 

I haven't even made any candles yet for fall. Those I make the end of this week. I already have noticed big changes in at least one of my major fall FOs. CS Mistletoe is no where near the way it used to be before its reformulation. It was always one of my very favs and now it just smell so different I don't even recognize it anymore. I contacted CS and the person I spoke too won't even acknowledge that is smells any different, just that it's been reformulated. Now I can't use it in my candles as I don't like anything about the new version at all. Sigh.....

• Sad 1

So many oils have been reformulated, and it's never for the better.  I'm sick of it.
Heck, I'm getting acceleration from oils I've had for a long time that didn't accelerate before.  I am obviously doing something differently or it's environmental, but it is maddening as hell to make a soap I've made many times before w/no issues and all of a sudden it's problematic.  I am not a professional soaper so I know I'm the problem, but I can totally sympathize with the frustration.  

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

So many oils have been reformulated, and it's never for the better.  I'm sick of it.
Heck, I'm getting acceleration from oils I've had for a long time that didn't accelerate before.  I am obviously doing something differently or it's environmental, but it is maddening as hell to make a soap I've made many times before w/no issues and all of a sudden it's problematic.  I am not a professional soaper so I know I'm the problem, but I can totally sympathize with the frustration.  

Sounds like you are experiencing the same frustration I am with FOs I have been using for years suddenly accelerating on me. Its so maddening! 

I have even replaced a couple already and have more to switch out due to the changes in them. 

2 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

UGH!  Candlescience Mistletoe is a customer favorite.  Looks like we are on the hunt for an alternative. :(

GoldieMN

It was also a customer favorite for me too and also one of my favorite Christmas scents. I loved burning a mistletoe candle during the holidays because I loved the scent but it also helped unstuff my nose too from the eucalyptus oil in it. 

I did purchase some fraser fir from CS and thankfully that one smells as good as ever. It will have to be my new christmas tree candle now. There is always Fillmore's Christmas Tree so I could still go back to using that one too.

But for now I have 2 lbs of new reformulated Mistletoe that doesn't smell anything like the old one. Will keep it around until I can figure out what to do with it. Maybe I can soap it but I am not very enthusiastic about it or at all sure I will even like it.

• Like 1

I wonder if they’re adding DPG or a new diluent? Rapid acceleration is common with DPG.  Though DPG ruins candles, squelching the flames. Which, incidentally, could be why some chandlers are needing cd20 and up for tiny jars. 

im so sorry you’re going through this. I’ve cut way back on FO, and am relying more and more on my own now. I can’t seem to extend trust to many companies trying so hard to sell us stuff. 

• Like 1

Update:

This past week I have made 14 batches of soap so far and every single one of them has accelerated! Every single batch I made I have made before with the exact same ingredients. This has become maddening! I am now considering other ingredients aside from FOs that could effect my soapmaking. But I can't think of any one item I used in all of them.

However, two culprits may be

1. I switched to pomace/rice bran oil from Soapers recently. Also,

2. I switched my brand of coconut milk out as my local grocers quit carrying the Silk brand I had been using for years. 

I believe I read somewhere that pomace can cause acceleration. Also, I will have to find a way to check what is in the Silk coconut milk brand and compare it to the one I use now to see if there is a difference. I know not all coconut milk is the same.

I am still convinced that many of my favorite FOs are contributing to the acceleration but they may be in combination with other factors.

Pomace can change soaping speed. I used it for a decade before swapping to Costco's olive oil. Trace slowed noticeably when I began using Kirkland Brand.

To get around the pomace speed up, I always used room temp master batched lye solution and oils at about 100*F. This gave me plenty of time for easy multi colored swirling even when using 40% lye solution.

• Like 1

Well, I just made a batch of pink sugar and no acceleration. Same pomace and coconut milk. Plus, I remembered that I used to use the same coconut milk many times before but switched to Silk due to a better price.

The pink sugar I had to look up in my purchase records. I last bought it from EBB in Jan 2019 so I don't believe it is not a reformulation.

So sort of back to square one.

I do believe the pomace could interact with some ingredient, perhaps something new being used in reformulated FOs causing a very fast acceleration which I have been experiencing.

I am going to go back to buying my OO from my local grocers. I was trying to save money by switching to the pomace/rbo and plain pomace oo from Soapers. Once I am back with regular OO will see what happens and if the acceleration continues. Sigh.... it's always something goin south...

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Pomace can change soaping speed. I used it for a decade before swapping to Costco's olive oil. Trace slowed noticeably when I began using Kirkland Brand.

To get around the pomace speed up, I always used room temp master batched lye solution and oils at about 100*F. This gave me plenty of time for easy multi colored swirling even when using 40% lye solution.

This is why next time I am at my local grocer's I'm going to pick up some regular OO, the kind I used to used before I switched to the pomace and the pomace/rbo from Soapers. Keeping my fingers crossed that this may be an easy fix to my acceleration problem.

Okay just made my last batch of soap for the week using CS Coconut Lime and NO acceleration at all. Checked my records and found I bought it prior 2019. 

So far it appears FOs I purchased sometime in late 2019 and beyond are the only ones accelerating on me. When I get a chance I will check the other FOs I used this week that accelerated on me and see if I can find a purchase date. I am betting most are from 2020 up to now as I know I bought a bunch of FOs last year.

Do you know anyone with a Costco membership? I switched for cost as it was less$ than Columbus per lb. the benefit of better performance was a nice bonus. 

I worry about store OO after being burned with DOS.  Pomace was cut with canola as badly as supposed “pure” oo. 

• Like 1

The oo I buy from my local grocers is what I always used before and never gave me any trouble. That and regular oo from Soapers. I was buying my oo from the grocers before as it was about the same or less than what Soapers Choice charged me.

No I don't know anyone with a Costco membership and frankly its too far out for me to go each time I need oo. I can get a 100oz jug for $17 at my local grocers and since I am not paying shipping it saves me a lot money and time. I can also buy the same jugs at Walmart but don't like their oo as much as what I can get at Giant Foods.