Blue Scent?

Miss Mise

Hi everyone,

I am just stumped. I have a commission for a candle, and the only thing I was given to work with was that the scent had to play into the word "Blue". Before going with the most obvious, she also has requested nothing aquatic, but the rest was up to me.  It's for her fantasy role-playing character. I'm usually pretty good about figuring out a direction on how to scent, but this one is a doozy. I'm curious as to what direction you would go- floral, fruity, or something else? What comes to mind when you imagine a candle named "Blue"- other than water? I'd really appreciate any thoughts you might have. Thanks so much!

Blue sugar is a popular Aquolina fragrance.  It is a woodsy, anise, delicious fragrance. It can be challenging to wick, but once you find the one it is worth the struggle. 

you could make up a blue sky type of aromatic blend. Or blue spruce.

Badedas smells blue to me.  I think my bottle is from RE/AH.

WSP Waterlily & Bluebell

https://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/products/waterlily-bluebell-fragrance-oil.aspx

While you're at WSP, have a look in the "Beach, Ocean, Rain, & Air" section to stimulate some ideas:

https://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/fragrance-oils/search/rain-ocean.aspx

Also search on just the word "blue" there and you may get some other interesting FOs (Frosted Blue Balls, Blue Agave Sugar, Blue Mist, etc.)

There's been some discussion on here of Just Scent's version of Jo Malone's Wild Bluebell but I also saw some not-great comments about it, so I haven't tried it yet.  Maybe some who have will chime in here. 

My mind immediately goes to a watery scent but otherwise.....Blue Raspberry, Blue Skies, Blueberry anything, Bluebonnet, Blue Hawaiian, Blue Cotton Candy, Blue Spruce, etc.  I always dye my Clean Cotton candles blue, so that could work. Blue Sugar is one of my favorite candle scents, so I'd be tempted to go with that one.

Interesting challenge!

What sticks out most for me is that "it's for her fantasy role-playing character."  Can you get any more information about that character and build the scent around that?  Color and name both play a huge role in how my brain interprets a scent, so I'll bet you could use almost any scent that plays into the theme as long as you name it appropriately.  For example, if she's role-playing an elf, you could use something forest-y or green (ivy, etc) even though they don't typically scream "blue", as long as you give it an appropriate name, like "Ancient Forest Whispers," dyed a light blue, blue-grey or blue-green (I'm terrible with names, but you get the idea.  :)  )  For something more along the lines of cyberpunk then maybe something like cologne or ozone/air, dyed medium blue.  Something with a patchouli or an earthy vetiver base for a mage or sorcerer, in a deep deep blue.

Let us know what you end up with!

On 8/15/2021 at 2:26 PM, BenderSF said:

Interesting challenge!

What sticks out most for me is that "it's for her fantasy role-playing character."  Can you get any more information about that character and build the scent around that?  Color and name both play a huge role in how my brain interprets a scent, so I'll bet you could use almost any scent that plays into the theme as long as you name it appropriately.  For example, if she's role-playing an elf, you could use something forest-y or green (ivy, etc) even though they don't typically scream "blue", as long as you give it an appropriate name, like "Ancient Forest Whispers," dyed a light blue, blue-grey or blue-green (I'm terrible with names, but you get the idea.  :)  )  For something more along the lines of cyberpunk then maybe something like cologne or ozone/air, dyed medium blue.  Something with a patchouli or an earthy vetiver base for a mage or sorcerer, in a deep deep blue.

Let us know what you end up with!

I was going to say the same thing.  If you know what her character is all about, it will definitely help you hone in on the type of fragrance direction you should go in as well as develop the name to support it.  We're anxiously awaiting to hear the outcome!

• 2 weeks later...

For everyone who made suggestions, thanks so much! I followed up with what many people were saying and got more detail on my commission’s character. They were in the Bard class, which after research, I found was supposed to be a characteristic, sweet-talker. As a result, I went with BA’s Blue Musk. The CT is amazing- it’s curing now, along with a second test candle I made for myself. If the HT is good, I may just add the scent to my line! Thanks again for your help! 

• Like 2

On 8/26/2021 at 1:50 PM, Miss Mise said:

BA’s Blue Musk. The CT is amazing- it’s curing now, along with a second test candle I made for myself. If the HT is good, I may just add the scent to my line! Thanks again for your help! 

Ooooooo, I want to hear more about this Bulk Apothecary Blue Musk!  I've avoided BA because I've seen quite a many negative comments about them.  But anything "musk" gets my attention.  Please do fill us in on more thoughts about it as you test with that.  :)

• 1 month later...

An update on my BA blue musk “Blue” candle. I was initially very concerned about the HT on this scent. When I use a new scent, I always pour an extra wax melt and candle for testing- the wax melt I use within 24 hours of the pour to get first impressions, and the candle I burn after a 5-7 day cure. 
When I tested the wax melt, I was disappointed to find that it had no throw at all. Still, I continued to cure in the hopes that it would bloom. 
I can say that it was a success! It actually turned out lovely after a 7 day cure. Is it the strongest scent? No, but it is solid. I did use almost a 10% load, so that’s something to keep in mind. Honestly, if I can find a comparable scent elsewhere, I’d be curious to try, but this blue musk is honestly one of the nicest musks I have used, and I plan on tinkering with it in the future. 
Thanks again to everyone who pointed me in the right direction.  My customer was extremely happy! 😊