C1 wax & sinkholes

HaeleyG

Hello all:) 

First post, but I’ve been reading along since I started making candles (1 yr) I’ve yet to find my “soul wax” but the closest I’ve gotten is C1/coco 83. 75/25. I love the finish, the creaminess and after spending a loooong time I finally feel like it’s wicked properly. Problem is that I get giant sink holes. Like, deep sink holes that lead to more sink holes and air pockets. I heat to 185, FO 175. I’ve tested POUR temps in increments of 5 degrees from 135 all the way to 90. 90 is a sludge fest and a lot of wax was left in pitcher.

From my research, this happens with this wax and I want to work with it because I like it. And I bought a lot lol 

I also think that my jars are not helping; I use a thin walled straight sided tumbler and also, I like them and have a lot to get through before potentially resourcing. 

I’m currently testing a couple things I’ll list below (just poured) but if anyone has any pointers I would be SO grateful:) thank you! 

current tests; 

different ratio of wax blend; 90/10 C1/coco

pouring at 135 but setting the jar in warm water 

curing surrounded by warmed up rice  

C1 is horrible for sink holes,  I used to have to pour at 105*F otherwise it needed a second pour and often a heat gunning. Nobody has time for that.

coco83 used to be reliable.  Several of us got terrible batches this year that created sink holes in every candle no matter the pour temp.  The combo of the 2 was maddening. Cooler pour and/or second pour was the only solution for us whether making one or 500. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you @TallTayl 

yea, after these tests I may call it and switch up waxes. Like you said, it’s so time consuming to basically repour each one. 
And, I wonder if I got a weird batch of coco83 🤔 I’ve ordered from a couple different places but I’m just not seasoned enough to know if it’s behaving weird. All in all I have a tricky combo and I’m gonna open my mind to new options. 

if anyone has any waxes they love that are soy/coconut blends I’d love any recs! I want to keep them vegan so no beeswax :)