Anyone ever hire a professional organizer?

Candybee

Everytime I look at my back room where I keep my soap racks and supplies I want to cry uncle! Just looking at the disorganized mess I get depressed and overwhelmed. I just keep adding stuff and trying to keep it organized but there is just too  much stuff! 

That's when I play around with the idea of hiring a professional but in the back of my mind I am thinking no way could I afford one either! Or could I? Is it way too pricey, like in the thousands, or can it be done for a couple hundred? I really have no idea.

On 8/2/2021 at 4:27 PM, Candybee said:

I just keep adding stuff and trying to keep it organized but there is just too  much stuff! 

Ah ha. First stop adding stuff! 
The best way to stay organized is nothing comes in when you have less space until something goes out.

message me with a photo I can help you.

• Like 1

Start by pulling all ingredients, packaging you use on daily basis.

Then do next ingredients that are weekly.

Take supplies that are research and development and corral them.

I have entire packaging shelves, fragrance, and cosmetic areas.

Shipping is another area, with all box sizes easily accessible, labels in file boxes for quick access.

you have to routinely go through and prioritize and toss old stuff.

whatever comes in needs to be labeled with date it goes in your storage area.

You can get get great storage options through Home Depot, and Lowe’s.

boxes and wire shelving. It’s an investment but it can save sanity.

my wire shelving is all on wheels so I can move stuff around when needed.

• Like 1

@Candybee, I feel your pain! I have a small bedroom where I keep all of my stuff and sometimes I just walk in there and turn around because it's so cram packed with stuff that I can't even get in there and work. I finally did get in there yesterday and threw a garbage bag of stuff away including molds that I know I'll never use so I tossed them. It's still overwhelming to go in there. I had so many ideas and plans and bought all the stuff and then just never followed through with it. I'm A.D.D. too so that doesn't help because one symptom is being disorganized and I've fought with that my whole life. I can get organized but i don't stay that way. It's maddening!

• Like 2

My candle room is my happy place!  It is the only room in the house that is MINE.  No one else goes in there, so when I put something away, it stays in that place.  I know where everything is!  I did purge a lot of stuff during lockdown.  Sold it all on destash groups.  If you are purging, please consider listing stuff here...one chandlers junk is another chandlers treasure  :)

• Like 3

I have been tackling 4 other rooms in the house that were all torn apart and becoming warehouses for supplies. It's a long story about how that happened so I won't go into.  It had to do with rearranging several rooms and switching furniture, carpets, books, belonging, etc for entire rooms during early 2020. At some point I didn't finish and a couple of rooms were left torn apart and waiting to be refinished.

So this past week I finally organized the rooms I had not finished and tidied and cleaned everything including moving back furniture, books, carpets, etc. Now that more of my house is in order I am feeling a bit more empowered to get to my messy room I use for supplies and soap curing. 

I tackled the other rooms by simple starting out emptying out a few boxes a day and moving things out here and there until finally I was able to clean them up and restore them. So I think I can get my soap & supply room cleaned up and organized by doing the same thing. Little by little until it gets all done.

Unfortunately, this is the month I have to get all my products made for and ready for the fall festivals and craft shows. So I will have to put it off until after the end of the season. On top of getting ready for the fall shows I have a wholesale order that needs to get done this week. Sigh.....

• Like 1

You’re singing my tune about overwhelm.  The first thing I had to do was totally eliminate cardboard boxes.  If it’s in a shipping box I can’t see it. pull all items out, and find clear totes that match and store easily.  

To me it is like a rubics cube… move one thing at a time, making temporary messes elsewhere until it is all organized.  I have to turn a decent mess into a giant unruly  mess to clean it all up.  The unruly mess inspires me to drop things into a garbage can without thinking too hard about it. something about an item being in the garbage can severs any emotional tie I had to it.

Looking at a giant mess is soul crushing, but knowing it will be organized an worthy of pride is the carrot at the end of my stick. 

good luck!!!!!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it’s oppressively hot and humid outside, so my indoor warehousing and shop organizing extravaganza is in full swing.

What a giant MESS I am making! it hurst my eyes… but the prize is in sight. 

It was hard starting to fill recycling and garbage bins knowing what I spent on everything, but as I progress toward the finish line it gets easier 😂 I just want to be done. I need to do these things the day before garbage day so I don’t have to look at the full containers for the next week. 

It feels great bleaching floors and walls and reorganizing the shelving. It is now so easy to inventory shipping materials, packaging, etc. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Keeping me honest motivating me to keep  moving forward through the organization… A load of glass bottles to recycling. That went into a lot of candles and soap! 

3659711B-12DD-4A8F-A7F5-267221B4415F.jpeg

my reward is getting to plant the mulched expanded bed those boxes are sitting on with the hundreds of little seedlings waiting for a home. 

The front 50’ cutting bed is in full bloom.

5347AF6C-2A49-4430-BC12-1FC5C22650EB.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2022 at 11:23 PM, kepoore said:

I volunteer to organize everyone’s work spaces for free 😜 

What's the catch? Oh wait...no catch! You just get to immerse yourself in the aromas that are awaiting your sniffer!! I can just imagine how long it would take to sniff thru all of Candybee's & Belinda's oils!! My family would end up putting out a missing persons report!🤣

You would not wanna organize mine. Actually, I don't have a room - most of my things are in a kitchen island cabinet that I claimed as my own. Waxes and things that aren't used that often is kept in a small space in a spare room that I was suppose to start working on to turn it into mine. Hard to do when you don't have a shed to store things. So I was just gonna pack things up and move it to the back bedroom - another "dump it here" room. Then my daughter has to move back here all of a sudden and now it's "Oops - there goes my work room!" And also to my daughter "Oops - baby girl your room doesn't exist anymore so just put your things wherever...hang it from the ceiling if you have to!" LOL! But now I have some help, so we can tackle it all together. My twisted up back can't handle all that by myself, so she does the heavy work for me. 

Did I run off-topic a little? I think I did.....

• 4 months later...
40 minutes ago, NightLight said:

Totally off topic, just seeing Tall Tayl’s zinnias! Planting the giant ones this year, they are supposed to be the dinner plate size of zinnias!

I LOOOOOVVVVE zinnias! All forms. Please post lots of colorful pics when they start to smile with their luscious colorful blooms. 

just planted that particular front bed in all new forms and colors a week or so ago after installing the new drip tape.  So excited to be in the dirt ❤️❤️❤️

Love my garden! I’m doing the big zinnias, and growing dinnerplate dahlias. Obsessed with those. Finally got the supports right with tomato cages.

Regarding organizing waxy things. I have a rolling metal cart bought on Amazon. It’s great for holding waxes, and supplies and you can shift around. Have some ikea storage bins with tops for wax. All my oils are in waterproof bins I bought Home Depot - locking lids hold smell in and prevent spills. Those are kept on rolling metal shelves | Home Depot - you can adjust shelves height and they can be broken down for moving.image.thumb.jpeg.1e1928cde44bfd9d67189b752a5c483d.jpeg

These are super handy and easy to clean. You can get 3-4-5 shelves. 

Water proof totes locking tops IRIS Home Depot. Excellent!

• Like 1

The file folder type of plastic bins are perfect for holding 20 typical glass 1 lb bottles or the equivalent Boston round in plastic. I sort by supplier in them.

They fit very well on those rolling carts, and don’t flex oddly like the typical rubbermade or sterilite boxes that taper. 
5614D7E1-65EC-4ABA-B38D-8EE24F865EAF.jpeg