Hot candle

I have a customer who is complaining that one of the fragrances we sell them , a cinnamon spice, is burning too hot. They are saying the vessel is getting hotter then their allowed 140 deg. before 4 hours of burning and the smoke and wick were still glowing 

after 40 secs. they use a ECO14 wick. They say the trim the wick before each burn , so the wick is not the issue. I am a perfumer so I am not a finished candle expert but I would think the wick would be the issue. Also why is this only happening with this one fragrance. They do use a high level of fragrance, 10%. I would appreciate any ideas on how to resolve this. Thank you. Don conover

All fragrance oils do not wick the same. If the candle is burning too hot, the candle maker needs to try a smaller wick, or any number of other variables that can influence wicking.  There is no such thing as one-size-fits-all in candle making.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bfroberts said:

All fragrance oils do not wick the same. If the candle is burning too hot, the candle maker needs to try a smaller wick, or any number of other variables that can influence wicking.  There is no such thing as one-size-fits-all in candle making.  

100% accurate. 

so many people don’t understand, or worse, disagree, until a cataclysmic preventable candle fire happens. 

test each candle combo from top to bottom before releasing new blends into the wild. Fragrances are different. And many fragrances are reformulated without any notice. 

yikes. imagine complaining to a fragrance supplier because the candle you made isn't burning safely.  It's scary to think how many candles are released to the public by makers that really have no understanding of basic candle making.

• Like 2