Candle Math and Melt Pool Temps

I have a couple of questions.

Is there a formula (math) for finding out how much wax is needed when working with a new jar?  In the past I have used the same size jars for all my testing and the 1lb wax + 6% FO filled the three jars perfectly and I didn't have to do any figuring but I now want to work with a larger jar and needing to figure my total wax needed per jar.

The other question is for anyone that tempts their melt pool.  At what temp does the melt pool need to be to release the FO for a nice hot throw?  Not necessarily need to be but at what temp have the melt pools been when you have had the best hot throw?  I have been testing mine about an inch from the wick.  Just wondering if anyone else does this and do you use it to determine the need for a wick change and possibility when to increase FO %.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, THicks said:

The other question is for anyone that tempts their melt pool.  At what temp does the melt pool need to be to release the FO for a nice hot throw?  Not necessarily need to be but at what temp have the melt pools been when you have had the best hot throw?  I have been testing mine about an inch from the wick.  Just wondering if anyone else does this and do you use it to determine the need for a wick change and possibility when to increase FO %.

I really don't know what melt pool temperature has to do with HT.  But I have been observing melt pool temperature and noticed some patterns.  I measure about an inch from the wick also with digital meat thermometer.

For 464, I get optimal burning candle at 125F which gave me best HT result.  Some wicks gave me 123F up to 134F, and I liked the way it burns best when it was 125F.  

For Coconut 83, I liked it when it was 138F.

For 130 melt point paraffin, I liked it when it was 138F also.  But I have not tried enough other wicks on this wax to be 100% confident on this number.

• 2 weeks later...

Hallo,

ich nutze für meine Kerzen und Melts den Duftlastrechner von NiCandles ( ein Kerzenhersteller aus Irland). Ich finde, der Rechner ist ein Segen für alle Kerzenhersteller und so einfach anzuwenden. Hier der Link:

https://www.nicandlesupplies.co.uk/blogs/how-to-guides/how-to-calculate-fragrance-scent-load

Du brauchst in der Tabelle nur eintragen wie viel Wachs deine Kerze haben soll und wie viel Prozent Duft du nehmen willst. Alles andere berechnet der Rechner selbst. Ich hoffe, ich kann dir und auch alle anderen Kerzenmacher, die sich mit diesem Thema herumschlagen, mit diesem Link helfen.

Liebe Grüße

Simone

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lori berlin said:

Hallo,

ich nutze für meine Kerzen und Melts den Duftlastrechner von NiCandles ( ein Kerzenhersteller aus Irland). Ich finde, der Rechner ist ein Segen für alle Kerzenhersteller und so einfach anzuwenden. Hier der Link:

https://www.nicandlesupplies.co.uk/blogs/how-to-guides/how-to-calculate-fragrance-scent-load

Du brauchst in der Tabelle nur eintragen wie viel Wachs deine Kerze haben soll und wie viel Prozent Duft du nehmen willst. Alles andere berechnet der Rechner selbst. Ich hoffe, ich kann dir und auch alle anderen Kerzenmacher, die sich mit diesem Thema herumschlagen, mit diesem Link helfen.

Liebe Grüße

Simone

22 hours ago, Lori berlin said:

I'm translating as best as I can. My German is a bit rusty having lived in the US for 28 years already. :P

Hello, I use the calculator from NiCandles (a chandler based in Ireland) This calculator is a blessing for all chandlers and so easy to use. Here's the link.

You just have to add how much wax you want to use and what fragrance load % you want...the calculator does everything else.

I hope this helps you and everyone who's been trying to figure this out.

• Like 1

Hallo Lizzy,

ich danke dir für die Übersetzung. 🤗

Da mir hier alle englisch geschriebenen Beiträg in English angezeigt Werden, dachte ich automatisch immer, bei allen anderen Mitgliedern ist das in ihrer Sprache auch so. Mir war leider gar nicht bewusst, dass meine Antworten in deutscher Sprache angezeigt werden.  

Leider ist mein Englisch nicht sehr gut, aber ich werde diesen Post nochmal von Google übersetzen zu lassen und hoffe, das es besser funktioniert.

Liebe Grüße 

Simone 

Hello Lizzy, 
thank you for the translation. 🤗 Since all English written Beiträg are automatically displayed to me here in German, I always thought, with all other members is the same in their language. I was unfortunately not even aware that my responses are displayed only in German.    Unfortunately my English is not very good, but I will try to translate this post again by Google and hope that it works better .  Kind regards Simone 

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2021 at 5:35 PM, TallTayl said:

For calculating, Will this thread help?

As for temp, it does not seem to matter as much as how the wick moves air around and out of  the container. 

Are there any tips for having best airflow? I have a slightly tapered candle that is 7” high. When it burns to about 3-4 inches, that means there is 3” - 4” of empty space and it is not getting great airflow.