🔥Dough bowl candle FIRE🔥

I'm always stunned that people do this ! I try to very nicely warn people about this when I see it ( usually on Tiktok ) & they get SO mad at me & act as if it just CAN'T happen, like I'm just a loon or something. I would never trust these, even if " treated ". I would have panic attacks daily if I sold these to people 😖

• Like 1

Did they blame the customer?

I get so enraged when makers of unsafe candles blame the buyer, and scold that the candle should burn in front of them every second. As if most of us don’t light a candle in, say, a bathroom.  Don’t know about you, but I do not sit in that bathroom the entire time the candle is lit. That would be weird. 

ASTM clearly states that candles shall not be made in combustible containers. 

ASTM also clearly states that candles shall not have combustible materials in, on or around them. 

While some people may sputter that ASTM is “voluntary” it is the standard the insurance companies and court of law follow when fire incidents occur. Protect yourself by becoming familiar with the ASTM candle testing process. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Did they blame the customer?

I get so enraged when makers of unsafe candles blame the buyer, and scold that the candle should burn in front of them every second. As if most of us don’t light a candle in, say, a bathroom.  Don’t know about you, but I do not sit in that bathroom the entire time the candle is lit. That would be weird. 

ASTM clearly states that candles shall not be made in combustible containers. 

ASTM also clearly states that candles shall not have combustible materials in, on or around them. 

While some people may sputter that ASTM is “voluntary” it is the standard the insurance companies and court of law follow when fire incidents occur. Protect yourself by becoming familiar with the ASTM candle testing process. 

10,000 likes :)

This is the 5th ot 6th picture I have seen floating around of a doughbowl that caught on fire in the last 6 months or so. Common sense is non existing with these candlemakers. Sure it looks good and people go cuckoo for them but is it really worth the risk? Nope. Of course these days there are are plenty of people who on the whim decide to make and sell (untested) candles without insurance. Very frustrating as a oldtimer. 

It can be a confusing lesson to learn for some chandlers when they see suppliers that sell candlemaking bowls and coconut shells and list them as candle containers. If a supplier sells them they must be safe, right? I assume that is what some chandlers believe. So at least part of the blame can be the bowl and coconut shell sellers.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1