Least favorite wicks to use?

SageSlowdive

Hello everyone, I'm testing wicks(2.9 or 215/16th diameter)in both 6006 and 4627 waxes, the RRD and Eco wicks smoke, soot, or tunnel, the zinc either tunnel, soot, or have a hang up wax; the Htp 104 in 4627 did smoke and soot towards the end of a 6 hour burn, CD 14 in 4627 also sooted some at last burn which was left to burn 6 hours, until finished. For some unknown reason htp 93 in 6006 in 3 inch diameter straight side salsa jar performed better( small carbon ball, no soot) than the Htp 104 in the same jar  both with out Fo. The 104 started smoking right after lighting it??(fail) I've just purchased Cdn 2,3, and Cdn 5 wicks from Honey &Hive on Etsy, to try out in both waxes, Wish me luck; the wicks that perform the worst imop for 6006 and 4627 is the Eco wicks, save them for soy or cocosoy blends, unless you do not mind smoke, soot, and really hot to the touch jars( which is a fail, and unsafe). I hope this info helps other newbies like myself😊

• Like 1

I honestly think it depends on the wax or combination of waxes you are using.  I agree with Neenie, Ecos are horrible for me, but I use paraffin.  However, even when I used a soy blend, they always caused my wax to discolor with every burn - no matter the fragrance (even no fragrance), wick size, etc.  I suppose if I was a pure soy chandler, my opinion would be totally different. 

• Like 2

I love ALL the wicks.  Sometimes the one I least expect to work is the very best. I've scratched my head marveling over it many times.  If I had to do away with one type, it would be wood.  I just don't trust those boogers.

In response to the above posts re: Eco wicks.  I don't get why so many people have bad experiences with them. They are clean burning, self-trimming little marvels in my parasoy world....most of the time. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Any wick can be used in some way if the combination is right.  But what can we do with some wooden wicks that would not stay lit and Cottonwood Wick that becomes smoke chimney & inferno after 2 hours?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thank you LMR😊 Eco wicks from my personal experience in 6006, 4627, burn extremely hot, with a high scary flame, even though they're recommended by Candlescience for 6006, I've not had safe results using the eco wicks, they've over heated my 12 .oz jars, and 8.oz candle tins. I followed both the wax mfg instructions making the candles and also Candlescience recommended wick size, and the eco's still burned like a house on fire in both waxes with or without Fo. BFroberts if the Eco's work well for you, that's great, maybe you've discovered a winning combination of wax/wick/ container that performs safely and smells wonderful for you😊; I hope that months and months of testing will finally give me a safe burning candle as well; but, I'll pass on those eco wicks for now.😉

• Like 1

I would have to say wood wicks...which, ironically, I absolutely love, when they work right. But they are soooo inconsistent for me ! I could trim to the same height, with the same size of wood wick, from the same supplier, in the same vessel, with the same fo (with the same percentage ), in 3 candles & one could drown out or barely have a flame, one could be burning so out of control / high that I need to put it out, & the other could burn perfectly. It's wild. They would likely be my wick of choice for most waxes otherwise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neenie said:

BFroberts if the Eco's work well for you, that's great, maybe you've discovered a winning combination of wax/wick/ container that performs safely and smells wonderful for you😊; I hope that months and months of testing will finally give me a safe burning candle as well; but, I'll pass on those eco wicks for now.😉

CD, LX, HTP, Eco, paper core, zinc....there are many that work well in 6006.  With that wax, landing on the right size & a good cure is more crucial than any particular wick type. Good luck to you.

• Thanks 1

On 7/13/2021 at 9:28 PM, bfroberts said:

In response to the above posts re: Eco wicks.  I don't get why so many people have bad experiences with them. They are clean burning, self-trimming little marvels in my parasoy world....most of the time. 

I agree with you on the Eco wicks for parasoy...they have done a wonderful job in parasoy waxes for me too. I never had any luck with the in straight soy. 

• Like 1