Working with petroleum jelly?

inny

I wanna work with petroleum jelly to make a lip balm/lip scrub, however, I can never find it in any recipes… 

I’m a bit nervous about trying it out? Is is difficult to work with? Is it dangerous when heated? 

Orr is it just an offset of the “clean beauty” movement? I’ve been educating myself a lot of this through channels like Dr Dray and LabMuffin and I’m glad to say that I’m not longer letting fear mongering control my crafts. I’m ready to start working with the “naughty” ingredients lol.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, inny said:

I wanna work with petroleum jelly to make a lip balm/lip scrub, however, I can never find it in any recipes… 

I’m a bit nervous about trying it out? Is is difficult to work with? Is it dangerous when heated? 

Orr is it just an offset of the “clean beauty” movement? I’ve been educating myself a lot of this through channels like Dr Dray and LabMuffin and I’m glad to say that I’m not longer letting fear mongering control my crafts. I’m ready to start working with the “naughty” ingredients lol.

Yay! Old school pet jelly is some great stuff.  My grandmother passed at 93 with skin as youthfully glowing and gorgeous as most people decades younger. I use it after showering to prevent TEWL and keep that crepey neck/chest area from looking tired.

not all brands of pet jelly are the same.  Some are “looser” than others. Make sure you check the ingredient list well to ensure no fragrances and such are added.

I would treat the jelly base like a soft lip balm base and add sugar to it at 30-40% and go up/down from there. You can color with lip safe micas and flavor with oil based flavors or lip balm flavors.  Keep an eye on the usage rates of flavors as some are rather low %.

have fun! 

6 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Yay! Old school pet jelly is some great stuff.  My grandmother passed at 93 with skin as youthfully glowing and gorgeous as most people decades younger. I use it after showering to prevent TEWL and keep that crepey neck/chest area from looking tired.

not all brands of pet jelly are the same.  Some are “looser” than others. Make sure you check the ingredient list well to ensure no fragrances and such are added.

I would treat the jelly base like a soft lip balm base and add sugar to it at 30-40% and go up/down from there. You can color with lip safe micas and flavor with oil based flavors or lip balm flavors.  Keep an eye on the usage rates of flavors as some are rather low %.

have fun! 

Soo those are the only cautions I should look out for? Are there any brands of petroleum jelly you recommend?

12 minutes ago, inny said:

Soo those are the only cautions I should look out for? Are there any brands of petroleum jelly you recommend?

If it is cosmetic white petroleum jelly USP it should be fine for use on lips. Many brands out there are fine.  Pick one and  stick with it since variations between brands might change your end product. 

test well to ensure the final product heat and cold tolerant. If it separates, reformulate.

don’t use anything hydrous (containing water) in it. Hydrous = fungus and Mold… EOS had a natural flavor that was water based a few years ago. It molded badly. Candy and beverage flavors contain some Elements of water, but lip balm flavors should not. 

don’t use any herbal or botanical types of things in it. Again Mold… 

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Soaps by SunRise said:

I have been lurking in this forum for some time, this thread made me sign up, because I am a fan of petroleum jelly.  Is also great on burns, and I make my own dupe of a famous cream with it.

Welcome!

My lovely grandmother used vaseline daily for all of her 93 years. Glowing youthful skin every day was her reward. I learned too late and have the crepe and wrinkles that need it now. It is the best at preventing TEWL in cold dry seasons.

I trust pet jelly more than most home made “natural” concoctions. It is inert and will last on the shelf basically forever. What is not to love?

curious to know what cream you replicated. (If you want to share the brand).