Recycling pillar candles to make container ones?

Hi, I'm new here and trying to do all the reading I can.

I have a LOT of glass containers from previous candles I've had and kept. I want to get started making my own to fill these. For my own use only. I happen to have a large bag, about 15, of 4 in. pillar candles, unscented, white, that were previously bought for a large candle holder that I no longer use.

I know that wax for container and pillar type are not the same, but is it feasible I can recycle it, adding fragrance and pouring it into my containers, or is the wax just not right at all? It would be nice if I could use this, if nothing else just to practice on it, before I invest in other supplies.

If I can use it, are there modifications I need to make?

Thanks in advance for your advice!:smiley2:

I've done it before, they usually don't look too pretty because the wax is too hard to stick to the sides, and sometimes will even fall right out of the glass!

That being said, yes you can do it, especially if they're for your own use. Just know that you will need to use a larger size wick to get them to burn nicely than you would need with softer container wax.

In my opinion, it just wouldn't be worth the time and trouble. I would get a container making kit or do some research and get a slab of container wax and some fragrance oil to use instead. Check the classifieds too. There is lots of FO, glassware and wax out there to be bought.

Well it would be easier to make a container out of pillar wax than to make a pillar out of container wax. ;) Unscented, white pillars like you have would be the BEST thing to use and if you could add some fragrance oil and a touch of vybar to them that would lower the MP and absorb the FO just fine. That might be just fine depending on the wick and jar you use. Most unscented cheap-O pillars dont have that high of a mp wax anyways. Might add some petroleum Jelly to it, that lowers the MP too, but I would try just the FO and a little vybar and see what happens. Bruce

Thanks guys. The glass containers are all anywhere from 4 oz. up to 16, and are nice and heavy. They are not the cheapo ones.

I think I try to use them and see how it works out. I don't really mind if they look odd or not, and probably won't color them. I just want a nice, strong scent. So, I would need a heavier wick than if I were using container wax. What size?

All the wax I've looked at online costs as much or more to ship it than it costs for the wax! I don't know of any place around here to go buy it.

I guess I could order some of the vybar and wicks along with some fragrance samples to see how it comes out.

Also, since it's for my own use, if it worked out ok, it would be a while before I needed to buy any of the good wax.

I will let you know how it turns out when I do it.