Is this true?

I was on the high end Trudon candles site. When they list how to properly burn their candles they state this? Is this true for all candles? 

1. To preserve the fragrance, do not burn your candle for more than 2 hours at a time during the first third of the candle and 1 hour at a time during the remaining.

Do you lose the fragrance to an extent if you don't follow these rules? Must be some science behind it.  I haven't seen this talked about much. Thanks!

This would be true for many name brand candles but not ours.

Many name brand candles would reach full melt pool in about 45 to 75 minutes and start to form deep melt pool after 90 minutes during first third of the candles.(Oh yes!  Their containers get very hot.)  Many of them would form melt pool deeper than 1/2" after 2 hours during top third.  I am assuming that FO would evaporate much faster with this kind of deep melt pool, and that is why Trudon is suggesting that kind of burning instruction.  But that kind of burning instruction does not apply to many candles that this forum members would make where we want to keep the melt pool as shallow (preferably at 1/4" and under 3/8") as possible.

• Like 1

Wow. That's a first for me and I've been repping candle lines for decades, including several in the $100+ price point.  That's a rather annoying way to have to burn your high end candle, just 1 hour at a time.  It'll barely make it through cocktail hour!

Not that 99.9% of their end users will read that or follow it. 

I wonder if this is more related to their custom, fragile? fragrance formulations which maybe can't withstand the heat from a longer burn.

* oops- I just noticed BusyBee basically just said the same thing! I agree, Busy ;)

Edited by pughaus

I find that many of the name brand candles are over-wicked, and I see many of them are suggesting not to burn more than 2 hours at a time.  I did put "Please try not to burn more than 2 hours at a time!" on my warning label at the beginning because many other big companies had that.  🤣

Those high end candles are not as good as we think they are.  This one is over-wicked and forms big mushroom due to excessive fuel delivered to end of wick.

20190915_135446.thumb.jpg.15cc67a1b5ce0204f04ec35d3c02caa9.jpg

1 hour ago, BusyBee said:

I find that many of the name brand candles are over-wicked, and I see many of them are suggesting not to burn more than 2 hours at a time.  I did put "Please try not to burn more than 2 hours at a time!" on my warning label at the beginning because many other big companies had that.  🤣

Those high end candles are not as good as we think they are.  This one is over-wicked and forms big mushroom due to excessive fuel delivered to end of wick.

It would be different if the wick could handle itself and the mushrooms fall off, but that's way beyond that point lol. 

My two cents... 

what happens if you but it’ll get than their prescribed time? If the unusual language on the label is to absolve themselves of a lawsuit for a candle fire then 🤬

I see lots of overwicked candles made by all sizes of company. Some catch fire. Small indies and big companies alike often blame the customer first. The difference being the biggest companies with most resources can pay off a suit before it gets too well publicized. Bigger companies will also comply with voluntary recalls to minimize future fires. 

Passing the blame to customers is not a business model I feel comfy with. A few words on an otherwise standard candle warning label  does not appeal to me personally.