Best way to test jar temp?

What are you guys finding are the best methods and or tools? I had purchased a 30 dollar lower end infrared temp gun on Amazon last year and returned it the same day. It was so inaccurate, would pull the trigger and aim steadily and could not get a consistent reading, temps would jump all over the place. I truly didn’t feel confident in using it in my candle making process 

Infrared thermometers are great but they can be tricky.  I'm currently using an el cheapo Ames from Harbor Freight.  I've had several over the years and they all had to be calibrated before using.  So just be sure to buy one that can be calibrated.   

• Like 1

I have and use three elekteks purchased at different times.   I tested them using ice water and boiling water and all 3 were within a degree of one another.  

to test the burning candle I aim at the part of the jar closest to where the flame is leaning. 

when checking melt pools temps (not necessary, just curiosity) I point right into the pool.

when taking temps of melting wax in the presto that is tricky since the heat coil is large and can throw off all measurements if the wax is shallow. 

accuracy isn’t the end all be all, consistency is IMO.

• Like 1