Solid Perfume

I usually use Shea Butter when making my Solid Perfume but, am not sure whether it's unrefined or not.  Which do you prefer?  Nature's Garden which I've just tried for fragrance oils has both and I'd like to try one of theirs.  I appreciate any info you can have on this!  

Thank you!

Shea (and other butters high in stearic acid) can get grainy over time without a stabilizer.  Once upon a time Butterez was available readily. INCI of  Caprylic/Capric/Palmitic/Stearic Glycerides that Worked AMAZINGLY well. No sub or DIY came close. 

you may want to try a simple salve type of product and go from there.  Simple oil (like fractionated coconut oil or mineral oil), and beeswax makes a basic, but stable base. The more beeswax the harder the blend. As little as 5% beeswax makes a product similar in feel to vaseline. The beeswax helps hold fragrance very well.

Rice bran wax, carnauba, castor wax, candelilla wax, etc. can also be subbed in or added with beeswax to give you the feel you want.

• Like 1

Thank you!  The wax I use regularly is Candelilla wax.  And, my actual ingredients are: Sweet Almond Oil, Shea Butter, Wax and Fragrance.  I normally grab the Shea Butter from work since I work at a grocery store.  But, have seen that it can be less expensive online.

8 hours ago, Cross-stitch said:

Thank you!  The wax I use regularly is Candelilla wax.  And, my actual ingredients are: Sweet Almond Oil, Shea Butter, Wax and Fragrance.  I normally grab the Shea Butter from work since I work at a grocery store.  But, have seen that it can be less expensive online.

Candelilla and oil will work. Almond oil, though, may have too short of a shelf life. The oil begins to turn pretty quickly once the bottle is opened. I found my items with short life like almond would begin to smell rancid within a few months. 

There’s also the nut allergy consideration. 

longer shelf life oils like jojoba and fractionated coconut will smell perfect for years. 

• Like 1

Wow, I didn't know that either.  I've been using the Almond Oil all along and seem to have been using it up quite quickly.  But, do have a little Jojoba oil as well.  Sounds like when I use up the Almond Oil, I might try to stick with the Jojoba...

• 7 months later...

I've noticed that when I use my diy perfume, the scent doesn't last terribly long and have others telling me the same.  I just read somewhere that after you make your solid perfume to let it set in a cold dark place for 2 weeks after hardening.  Supposedly, this lets the scent mature and will make it stronger.  Have any of you heard this?  I'm tempted to give it a try to see if it actually works...

Curing might help a little, but more often the fragrance blend itself matters more.  Perfume needs a balance of fixatives and base notes to help hold the fugitive essences a bit longer. 

have you visited the Perfumers Apprentice or Basenotes forum? 

• Thanks 1

Yup, I've checked Basenotes off and on and they sometimes have some great stuff to say!!!  Hmm...just looked at Perfumers Apprentice.  Never heard of them, but put it in my favorites so I can look at them more closely when I get the chance.  Thanks TallTayl!!!!🙂

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 2/17/2022 at 9:32 PM, Cross-stitch said:

Looked around and ended up adjusting my fragrances a bit as far as; top, middle & base.  With that along with curing, we'll see what happens!  Will keep you updated!! 😁

Any update? I don't use fixatives in my perfume and have a hard time getting the scent to last.

I'm afraid, not really.  I've looked around and found that for the most part Solid Perfumes are made for short time frames.  

I believe some people have mentioned that the reason for this is in case someone would like a different scent at a later time of the day...