Hi, my name is Sponiebr and I'm a masochist...

Sponiebr

Jear Desus... The things we do for love.

So my GF has very fine, wavy, frizzy hair and she is horribly frustrated with it. 

I am a soapmaker, BUT I am apparantly ALSO a masochist. 

Why do you ask?

Well...

I MAY have volunteered myself for making shampoo...  I don't want to use those syndets though. 

My theororetical plan is that I should take my normal soap formulation (I'm talking fats here) and run it through soapcalc for 0% SF and calculate how much KOH I need...

Make up my KOH solution with my normal ridiculous amount of silk added to it. Use my normal HTFHP method BUT substitute my sugar for glycerin, and skip my normal SL additive.  

Then post cook add in a 8-10% SF mix of SOMETHING... (Jojoba and Tocopheryl acetate, and olive oil? I dunno...) and something that smells like her normal scent choices.  

Dump it in a bucket add in my distilled water, cover, and rot it for some heretofore undetermined amount of time.  

Stir it up, dilute as required, test it on my own widdle noggin. IF all goes well, bottle it up, put a bow on it and hand it over with a lacivious grin.... 

How close to approximately correct am I? 

Halp! Please: 😃 

Sponiebr 

The Executor of Bad Ideas and Sundry Services 

Edited by Sponiebr

Here’s the dealio on cold process, hot process shampoo bars. In my persona experience they are very bad for your hair and make them scummy. Additionally you have to do a vinegar rinse which in IMHO is a real drag in the shower.

don’t believe the hype about your hair will adjust, it doesn’t. The ph isn’t right for hair.

Before you try get some Dr. Bronners wash hair with and without for a week then decide if it’s a go.

I make my own Sydney bars and you can make very good formulas with them. Most people put too many butters and emulsifiers in them but you can finetune the formula. They can be very luxurious and beneficial to the hair with additives. Nothing wrong with them.

I would try both and decide which you want to make 👌

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

Oh friend, make the leap into Syndets. Cp/hp soap is HARD on hair.

Even KOH? I thought the ionic whatevermafutitzcalled from the potassium was supposed to be GOOD for hair? As the French would say: No? 

Damn... I've got 8 frigg'n POUNDS of KOH now. 😕 

Ok so WHAT syndet would be the ideal? SLS? CB? TSP?

(sorry... BAD SPONIE!!!!!) 
giphy.gif

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, NightLight said:

Here’s the dealio on cold process, hot process shampoo bars. In my persona experience they are very bad for your hair and make them scummy. Additionally you have to do a vinegar rinse which in IMHO is a real drag in the shower.

don’t believe the hype about your hair will adjust, it doesn’t. The ph isn’t right for hair.

Before you try get some Dr. Bronners wash hair with and without for a week then decide if it’s a go.

I make my own Sydney bars and you can make very good formulas with them. Most people put too many butters and emulsifiers in them but you can finetune the formula. They can be very luxurious and beneficial to the hair with additives. Nothing wrong with them.

I would try both and decide which you want to make 👌

Doesn't "scum" = "volume"? I mean... it KINDA does, doesn't it? 

Soap scum is different from a simple oil “scum”. Build up on hair strands leads to tangles and lots of breakage. I find KOH soap much more drying and “harsh” overall than NaOH soap. Use that KOH for liquid soap and cream soap.  Those can be lovely luxurious feeling products for scrubs and gels.

a hair strand is like a pine cone. The scales should be tight and smooth for hair strength and shine. Hair likes a pH of 5-7 (max). Any higher and the scales begin to open which introduces snarling, weakness and and breakage. 

Soap has a very high pH, typically 10+. Some people try to get around that using acid rinse with vinegar. The problem becomes the repeated use of soap and vinegar... opening and closing scales repeatedly will lead to loss of strength of the hair strand.  Curly hair is even more challenging.

check out ingredient lists for curly hair cleansing products for an idea of what works well for that particular hair type.  And look into curly hair blogs. They are enlightening! You can find small amounts of different surfactants from many different suppliers. Surfs  will give you a quick, immediate gratification with new products to try and tweak. 

good luck!

• Like 1