Using a Base vs Making from Scratch?

inny

Hello, I’m am in the process of starting a bath and body business selling lotions, body washes, and emulsified body butters. I’m conflicted as to weather I want to make my products myself or just use a base.  Using a base a lot more economical and time efficient, however, I haven’t been able to find bases that I really like and feel confident selling to people. 

2 hours ago, inny said:

Hello, I’m am in the process of starting a bath and body business selling lotions, body washes, and emulsified body butters. I’m conflicted as to weather I want to make my products myself or just use a base.  Using a base a lot more economical and time efficient, however, I haven’t been able to find bases that I really like and feel confident selling to people. 

Creating formulas and stability testing can take considerable time and $. 

there are some decent bases out there.  Essential by Catalina had a few my wholesale people loved.

I like to make my own bases. Yes it’s time consuming BUT you get to learn how to create formulas and most importantly how ingredients function and feel. There are a number of emulsifiers for lotions and they can act and feel very differently - once you find one you like the feel of for a lotion or body cream you can learn how to modify and stabilize with various additives, preservatives.

If  doesn’t appeal to you then you will have to test several bases to find ones you like.

I never use a premise lip balm formula because depending on the flavor oil you might use 2 per cent to 10 or 20 percent and that will alter the texture. You’re better off making it.

if you want to learn how to make bases go to Swiftcraftymonkey blog - all the information you need there and she writes about latest materials.

With the base I found they can often use materials I don’t want in an end product. Some of the bases still use parabens or other preservatives that people just don’t want on their bodies. Check the ingredient list!

You will have to decide what kind of crowd you’re selling to. If super crunchy then you have to pay attention to the ingredients that people find offensive.