Shipping Candles in Summer

I wasn't sure if I should put this question here or in the Business board but since this is a time limited question, I thought this might be the better spot.

During the summer I take extra steps to ship an order (ship on Monday or Tuesday, thermal bubble wrap, ice pack). However...I just got an order from a DPO/APO address (diplomatic mail) going to Bangladesh. Oof. I have no idea how long it will take to get there. It could be as little as a week but also could be longer. I so rarely get DPO/FPO orders that this never even crossed my mind. DPO addresses go to Dulles, VA so getting there will be fast (I'm in Georgia) but after that I don't know.

Any tips...? Any folks here who ship internationally? Thanks!

18 hours ago, ErronB said:

I'm curious why you would go through all that extra cost of materials and bother instead of using a high melt point wax?

Or using additives to keep the softer components in a “gel” like matrix.

seeing lots of questions in the marketplace  about the soft waxes (like the popular new coconut blends) at markets, shipping, etc. Sometimes you just need to fit the product to your circumstances rather than try to overcome the extremes of elements. All too often the shipping companies can’t control the temps or ship times. 

• Like 1

It all depends on how the package is going to travel.  I think (this is my guess anyway) that it's going to go into USPS warehouse facility or other facility before heading to a cargo hold in a jet that travels where the air is quite cool, then it's going to probably stay indoors to get to the delivery box.  In other words, I doubt that it'll take the typical domestic route of getting on a truck to drive through a neighborhood to possibly get placed on a hot porch in the sun.  For domestic shipping, I know that if you have packages held at the P.O. they can do better, so in this case, it may not be so much of a concern, I guess it all depends on the temperature conditions at the final destination and how long it's held there before delivery.

1 hour ago, birdcharm said:

It all depends on how the package is going to travel.  I think (this is my guess anyway) that it's going to go into USPS warehouse facility or other facility before heading to a cargo hold in a jet that travels where the air is quite cool, then it's going to probably stay indoors to get to the delivery box.  In other words, I doubt that it'll take the typical domestic route of getting on a truck to drive through a neighborhood to possibly get placed on a hot porch in the sun.  For domestic shipping, I know that if you have packages held at the P.O. they can do better, so in this case, it may not be so much of a concern, I guess it all depends on the temperature conditions at the final destination and how long it's held there before delivery.

Most mail shipping between Depots are in a big 18 wheeler. Those things Get really hot inside and are parked outside until they’re processed. UPS trucks can get well over 100° in the box.

Are you saying that on the first leg of the trip it's going to travel by truck from Georgia to Virginia and not by air?  That would mean that it could get a little warm, depending on the weather, at the start of the trip.  When it's on the international flight, it'll probably be cool, but when it's being processed overseas, who knows how it'll be handled and where it'll be stored ...??

• Like 1

The first legs of the trips to and between local area sorting depots are always trucks. As an example, from my local Post Office in northern IL, the 18 wheelers  head to des plaines usually, an hour or so away stopping at many other post offices to fill the trailer with pallets of packages.

Then the trailer portions sit in The parking lots at bigger area depots waiting in line to be unloaded with skid steers on to other trucks through the depot cross docks. Some pallets may get to a plane, via a hot tarmac.

I found fed ex has the most reliable cool vehicles.  The vans are air conditioned, and most stops along the way seem cooler than usps and ups. It’s always a risk in hot weather though. 

Leave for a day and there are a lot of responses to catch up on...

@ErronB & @TallTayl Re: wax formulation. In retrospect yes, it would have made sense to do that. Hindsight being 20/20 and all.  My particular blend is reasonably heat-tolerant and I've usually been able to manage summer issues by shipping M-W. I just never expected to get an order, in summer to Bangladesh.

I am limited by shipping to USPS because this is going via diplomatic mail. So no FedEx or UPS. I'm going to do some research and see if I can learn more about how exactly dip mail works (ie--is it going to sit on the tarmac for days or will it be warehoused). I'm prob also going to tell the customer that I can't guarantee it won't melt on route. I lived overseas with the US govt for a number of years, so I know folks rely heavily on diplomatic mail bc you can order things without paying int'l postage. She should understand that while it's a great benefit, it has limitations too...🤞

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Or using additives to keep the softer components in a “gel” like matrix.

seeing lots of questions in the marketplace  about the soft waxes (like the popular new coconut blends) at markets, shipping, etc. Sometimes you just need to fit the product to your circumstances rather than try to overcome the extremes of elements. All too often the shipping companies can’t control the temps or ship times. 

What additive might I consider in the future? Thanks!

18 hours ago, birdcharm said:

Are you saying that on the first leg of the trip it's going to travel by truck from Georgia to Virginia and not by air?  That would mean that it could get a little warm, depending on the weather, at the start of the trip.  When it's on the international flight, it'll probably be cool, but when it's being processed overseas, who knows how it'll be handled and where it'll be stored ...??

I have no idea. I'm in a major hub and the order will also go to a major hub so I hope it will go by air and then to a warehouse...But once it's on the ground in Dhaka, all bets are off. 😁

6 minutes ago, Peggy T said:

What additive might I consider in the future? Thanks!

It all depends on what is already in your wax,  some additives play well with others. Some don’t.

a somewhat rubbery paraffin like IGI 4786 is often super helpful.

Beeswax. Rice bran wax. Castor wax. Candelilla wax. Palm wax.

I looked at the cosmetic industry for ideas early on.  I thought about how they would keep a lipstick solid in a hot car or pocket without being draggy or “too hard” when cool. All additives have a possibility to completely change your candle’s burn even at very low %

you could also possibly layer a more durable wax on the top to seal the candle, much like the old way of preserving jellies. A very thin layer may be all it takes to help it survive a challenging condition. Again, wicking is the challenge.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

It all depends on what is already in your wax,  some additives play well with others. Some don’t.

a somewhat rubbery paraffin like IGI 4786 is often super helpful.

Beeswax. Rice bran wax. Castor wax. Candelilla wax. Palm wax.

I looked at the cosmetic industry for ideas early on.  I thought about how they would keep a lipstick solid in a hot car or pocket without being draggy or “too hard” when cool. All additives have a possibility to completely change your candle’s burn even at very low %

you could also possibly layer a more durable wax on the top to seal the candle, much like the old way of preserving jellies. A very thin layer may be all it takes to help it survive a challenging condition. Again, wicking is the challenge.

I have beeswax I can test. When I've tried it using it before, I found it a bit temperamental; nothing is straightforward with candle making...What % would you suggest I start with? I'm thinking super low (less than 3%).

25 minutes ago, Peggy T said:

I have beeswax I can test. When I've tried it using it before, I found it a bit temperamental; nothing is straightforward with candle making...What % would you suggest I start with? I'm thinking super low (less than 3%).

I usually start at between 3 and 5% and work up/down from there.

• Like 1