IGI6006 can I trust Candle Science wax?

GretaB

Hi guys, I was getting ready to make a big order from the flaming candle for wax and fragrances, but seems their IGI 6006 is out of stock!! T_T Do you guys think I can trust candle science wax IGI6006? I only tried their GB 464 and didn't work for me very well, so now I am kinda scared.... What do you think?

Well, it comes down to the luck of the draw, doesn’t it? All 6006 wax is made by the same manufacturer (IGI) , just distributed by resellers. Ditto 464.

one thing many of us learned over the years is the variance from batch to batch of wax is unpredictable and can vary wildly no matter which distributor it went through. The supply issues related to Covid-19 just turned up the volume so loud we can’t pretend it doesn’t exist.  We have not found any accountability from anyone in the supply chain, so we learn our wax as well as we can, and recognize where it needs to be tweaked to work within our zone of acceptable. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Well, it comes down to the luck of the draw, doesn’t it? All 6006 wax is made by the same manufacturer (IGI) , just distributed by resellers. Ditto 464.

one thing many of us learned over the years is the variance from batch to batch of wax is unpredictable and can vary wildly no matter which distributor it went through. The supply issues related to Covid-19 just turned up the volume so loud we can’t pretend it doesn’t exist.  We have not found any accountability from anyone in the supply chain, so we learn our wax as well as we can, and recognize where it needs to be tweaked to work within our zone of acceptable. 

ok thank you so much for your help!!

12 hours ago, GretaB said:

Hi guys, I was getting ready to make a big order from the flaming candle for wax and fragrances, but seems their IGI 6006 is out of stock!! T_T Do you guys think I can trust candle science wax IGI6006? I only tried their GB 464 and didn't work for me very well, so now I am kinda scared.... What do you think?

464 is garbage these days I used it for years before it went to hell a few years ago, it's nothing to do with CandleScience that's all Golden Brands fault.

I've had several cases of 6006 from them lately and they've all been fine, it doesn't wick like the older stuff where Eco worked pretty good and the glass adhesion is a bit iffy, but it still has very good hot throw and it's totally acceptable to use.

15 hours ago, GretaB said:

I've been buying mine from Aztec and haven't had any issues with the wax (wicking it is a different story).

• 4 weeks later...

SageSlowdive, that's scary.  I'm new, all around, and trying to find a starting place so that I can actually sell candles, without wasting non-existent funds, for ages, first. 

So, do I understand that getting a wick to work isn't just about the container, as the videos have all said, but also about which wax you use?  

Eek!

Would a given supplier be able to make relevant suggestions for wick, wax, and container/no container?

2 hours ago, Prettystuff said:

SageSlowdive, that's scary.  I'm new, all around, and trying to find a starting place so that I can actually sell candles, without wasting non-existent funds, for ages, first. 

So, do I understand that getting a wick to work isn't just about the container, as the videos have all said, but also about which wax you use?  

Eek!

Would a given supplier be able to make relevant suggestions for wick, wax, and container/no container?

Wicking is about wax, container size, container dimensions, container shape, container material, added wax color and most importantly... fragrance used and what %.  FO is a major variables that impacts absolutely everything about the burn. Wick charts are based on unscented, uncolored plain paraffin wax (typically) with no additives.

as for trusting retailers, well, they are at the mercy of manufacturers.  Manufacturers are at the mercy of supply chain.  And we all have felt how totally messed up the supply chain is.

Every shipment of every component is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you are going to get. 

if you want to make a business of this, strap in for a very bumpy ride. Buy as much of your wax, FO, wicks that you can reasonably at a time to shield yourself from potentially devastating surprises. Generally, we get 6 months to a years worth at a time to reduce the re-testing time.

Hi there,

if you are new to candlemaking, I would try and get sample bags of various waxes to try, along with sample bags of wick families cd, eco, htp. Candles require patience, and as TT said above it’s not just one factor to Mae a good candle it’s many. Wax, wick, fragrance, container.

It’s good to know about other waxes, because something always happens! Wax changes, wax shortages, wicks...fragrance. There have been so many problems this year. I waited almost a year for many types of glassware I use in my business. Candle Science a big supplier of fragrance decided to reformulate many of its fragrances.