Does woodenwicks give worse scent throw than normal wicks?

urboholic

So ive been testing a lot with 6006 and i found that a normal wick just dosent work with my fragrance. It does give scent throw quite quick but the melt pool is not that great.
Wooden wicks gives me a great melt pool but the scent throw is worse if you compare it to normal wicks? why is that and is it normal ? does candles with wooden wicks need more FO% then a candle with normal wicks?

I am by no means an expert, however, I have noticed the same thing. My theory is that the cotton wicks literally wick more of the wax and fragrance oil into the flame while the wooden wicks simply burn the surface wax. I have just about given up on wooden wicks for this reason. I use some really expensive oils and using more of them is not an economically viable option. 

• Like 1

It is all relative. If the wick is too hot, ht can be worse than one slightly undersized. And vice versa. It is a balance of the variables in your particular candle.  I have one scent that ONLY threw with an wood tube wick. That is the exception not the rule, though. 

I don’t worry about a small melt pool if the candle burns clean and throws well.  The hang up usually catches up.

Melt pool size and depth are a limit not a goal. 

• Like 1