Which wick is most comparable to ECO2?

SageSlowdive

Just shooting in the dark if someone out there has some suggestions:

I'm double wicking ECO2 in 6006. HT is great, but for the life of me I cannot get this wick to stop smoking. Been testing for weeks now and the first 4 hour burn is good, the second burn produces a chimney of smoke that lasts for at least a few minutes (important to note I did not trim the wicks after first use, as I would like to see what they would produce as I'm sure customers will not trim after each use). I used less dye on a second go around with the same candle and dropped from 8% to 7.5%.

If anyone has any suggestions on what wick would be best for double wicking, please say so lol.

(for reference, I have tried quite a few double wicking combinations, just looking for some seasoned suggestions).

3 hours ago, NightLight said:

You will make a test candle half full, and test wicks at that point. If your current wick smokes at half way way point it’s too big. If eco 2 is too big at that point in candle change wick series so you can wick down.

Not sure how testing a half-full candle will help with the smoke from a second burn.

On 5/13/2021 at 2:03 PM, SageSlowdive said:

Just shooting in the dark if someone out there has some suggestions:

I'm double wicking ECO2 in 6006. HT is great, but for the life of me I cannot get this wick to stop smoking. Been testing for weeks now and the first 4 hour burn is good, the second burn produces a chimney of smoke that lasts for at least a few minutes (important to note I did not trim the wicks after first use, as I would like to see what they would produce as I'm sure customers will not trim after each use). I used less dye on a second go around with the same candle and dropped from 8% to 7.5%.

If anyone has any suggestions on what wick would be best for double wicking, please say so lol.

(for reference, I have tried quite a few double wicking combinations, just looking for some seasoned suggestions).

I don't know how others have come up with solution to this problem, and I haven't figured out how to correct that problem especially with 6006.

Wax will expand when it is melted, and it will shrink (down) when it cools.  This is the reason why the wick is sooting when we tried to re-light the candle.  Self-trimming wicks will need some time to catch up(burn off) when you re-light the candle, which will take couple minutes to burn off.  See pictures!

Picture100.png.5c2de3fbdb848682fd63e4405cbb9cef.png

This is one of the reason why we need to keep melt pool as shallow as possible to minimize wax shrinkage.  I say about 1/8" would be close to perfection, but I was only able to get it down to 3/16" at best.  I find that even 1/4" is too deep of melt pool that it will require wick trimming every time I re-light the candle.

Now, 6006 is totally different beast.  Probably 6006 is the only wax that will form melt pool like this.

Picture101.png.545c82d5534a38f899a55df775ab96ed.png

6006 has concave melt pool shape.  It melts down first before it melts out side ways.  It will form deeper melt pool than any other waxes, and it will shrink down more than other waxes.  6006 is the probably only wax that I cannot wick correctly.

My candles need wick trimming regularly, and I haven't seen any other candle that does not need wick trimming.  I would love to try one if there is any.

On 5/16/2021 at 6:05 PM, BusyBee said:

I don't know how others have come up with solution to this problem, and I haven't figured out how to correct that problem especially with 6006.

Wax will expand when it is melted, and it will shrink (down) when it cools.  This is the reason why the wick is sooting when we tried to re-light the candle.  Self-trimming wicks will need some time to catch up(burn off) when you re-light the candle, which will take couple minutes to burn off.  See pictures!

Picture100.png.5c2de3fbdb848682fd63e4405cbb9cef.png

This is one of the reason why we need to keep melt pool as shallow as possible to minimize wax shrinkage.  I say about 1/8" would be close to perfection, but I was only able to get it down to 3/16" at best.  I find that even 1/4" is too deep of melt pool that it will require wick trimming every time I re-light the candle.

Now, 6006 is totally different beast.  Probably 6006 is the only wax that will form melt pool like this.

Picture101.png.545c82d5534a38f899a55df775ab96ed.png

6006 has concave melt pool shape.  It melts down first before it melts out side ways.  It will form deeper melt pool than any other waxes, and it will shrink down more than other waxes.  6006 is the probably only wax that I cannot wick correctly.

My candles need wick trimming regularly, and I haven't seen any other candle that does not need wick trimming.  I would love to try one if there is any.

Thank you so much for the input - do you sell candles? Do customers ever see excessive smoke after relighting candle? 

I do wholesale to non-traditional candle market.  I only did direct retail when I started, and I found out that there are many who knows how to burn candles properly.  On the other hand, it is true that there are many who does not know how to trim their wicks also.  But, I also found out that these non-wick trimmers will think soot is normal thing because every candle will soot if they are not trimmed correctly.  Just make sure your candle burns safely when it is not trimmed. 

Soot?  I don't think there is nothing we can do about that if wick is not trimmed.  If anyone can solve this, then he or she should become candle billionaire!