Soap disaster squared

Candybee

Have you ever rebatched a failed soap just to have another disaster during the rebatch?!!! Argh!!! Not to mention what a mess it was.

I wanted to rebatch some soap that accelerated on me and I couldn't get into the 12 cavity mold I had. There ended up being holes and empty spaces in the individual soaps so decided to rebatch.

So I shredded the mishapen soaps and  added the shreds to a big batch of soap I was making. As soon as I added the lye I got an instant volcano. I managed to tame it by turning the crockpot off and continuously stirring the molten soap that was threatening to spill over the top and run down the countertop.

Anyway, after the volcano stopped and the soap was saponified and ready to put into the cavity molds I had... well the same thing happened again. The batter wouldn't behave and I am not sure I got it to fill each cavity correctly so there were no empty spaces, air pockets, or sides that weren't filled. 

This all created a huge mess for me to clean up and was frustrating beyond any expectation. I am exhausted. But I got the clumpy soap into the cavity mold.

Will have to wait til it hardens up and I can take it out of the mold. Which reminds me I forgot to add the SL for an easy release from the mold. Hopefull the soapies will pop out of the mold without me having to pry or drill them out!!

They popped right out of the mold. They look a ton better than before I rebatched them. All I really needed to do was plane the bottoms so they were even and smooth. 

BTW-- the fragrance oil that started this whole mess is Autumn Embers from PFO (formerly from MW). I love this fragrance but its obviously been reformulated and accelerates like the dickens. Will just have to crockpot/HP each time I want this soap.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Candybee said:

They popped right out of the mold. They look a ton better than before I rebatched them. All I really needed to do was plane the bottoms so they were even and smooth. 

BTW-- the fragrance oil that started this whole mess is Autumn Embers from PFO (formerly from MW). I love this fragrance but its obviously been reformulated and accelerates like the dickens. Will just have to crockpot/HP each time I want this soap.

autumn embers had a super low usage rate when I used it. I think i skipped it in soap and tried a few candles with limited success... it was a bugger to wick in soy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

autumn embers had a super low usage rate when I used it. I think i skipped it in soap and tried a few candles with limited success... it was a bugger to wick in soy.

The IFRA rating is 5% in bar soap. I think I used about 6%. Sigh.... just another one of my favorite fragrances I may have to replace or blend with something else that has a higher usage rate. 

This is a pain because ever since MW closed I have not found the equivalent to Autumn Embers. Nothing comes close. I was so excited when PFO started to carry it and got a lb. But haven't used it until recently and was disappointed that it now accelerates so fast I can't get it into my mold on time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Candybee said:

The IFRA rating is 5% in bar soap. I think I used about 6%. Sigh.... just another one of my favorite fragrances I may have to replace or blend with something else that has a higher usage rate. 

This is a pain because ever since MW closed I have not found the equivalent to Autumn Embers. Nothing comes close. I was so excited when PFO started to carry it and got a lb. But haven't used it until recently and was disappointed that it now accelerates so fast I can't get it into my mold on time.

I hate that happens.  

• Like 1