Molded beeswax candles sticking in mold

Hi all,

I've been experimenting with making white beeswax pillar and votive candles. I've had some success, but I often have the wax stick to the sides of the molds. This creates a defect in the surface of the candle. I use olive oil to coat the molds before I pour them, and I put them in the freezer before popping them out. The worst is that my last pillar candle is stuck in the mold! So frustrating. I can't even seem to melt it out. 

thank you!

What material are the molds?

often super sticky beeswax stuck in molds is related to pouring temp.  The hotter you pour, the tighter they stick in the mold (any material).  Usually a few days in a freezer can get them to shrink enough to force out.

I tend to pour at about 150*F.  Too much more and the wax wants to stick and not retract cleanly from molds. 

Your stick age can also be a combo of using olive oil with hot wax.  The beeswax may be forming a layer of “salve” like sticky material. Salve can be like glue.

I use silicone release spray in all molds.  It is the most reliable and leaves no residue to stick. 

My molds are aluminum. I think I am pouring too hot. Where do you get your silicone release spray? I've had a difficult time finding molds and molded candle supplies. Also, have you found a good source for beeswax. I purchased mine from Bulk Apothecary to start, but man is it expensive and they are better than most. 

Thanks so much! You are always so helpful. 

This is the can I’ve been using for the past several years.

E080091D-072C-4F5F-9A81-D81CE18B4A3D.jpeg

I picked up others from candle suppliers,  and discovered over time there was absolutely nothing special that made them “candle” release spray. I don’t need to spray each time, maybe a quick spritz every 3 - 4 candles in the mold. I wipe out excess if it looks wet. You can kind of feel when there’s already enough release on them. The molds season with time. 

as for beeswax suppliers, I have the most consistent good luck from American Soy Organics. I buy several 55”lb cases at a time. With the over 50lb shipping penalties It’s a HARD bill to pay.  the pain diminishes after a few months, lol. Then it is time to pay again 😂

soapers Choice has nice wax These days. For a while the yellow was a really deep dark turmeric color and nearly impossible to burn. They are close to me, so convenient in a pinch. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TallTayl said:

This is the can I’ve been using for the past several years.

E080091D-072C-4F5F-9A81-D81CE18B4A3D.jpeg

I picked up others from candle suppliers,  and discovered over time there was absolutely nothing special that made them “candle” release spray. I don’t need to spray each time, maybe a quick spritz every 3 - 4 candles in the mold. I wipe out excess if it looks wet. You can kind of feel when there’s already enough release on them. The molds season with time. 

as for beeswax suppliers, I have the most consistent good luck from American Soy Organics. I buy several 55”lb cases at a time. With the over 50lb shipping penalties It’s a HARD bill to pay.  the pain diminishes after a few months, lol. Then it is time to pay again 😂

soapers Choice has nice wax These days. For a while the yellow was a really deep dark turmeric color and nearly impossible to burn. They are close to me, so convenient in a pinch. 

Awesome! My husband has this in his shop! Thanks again