Pour Temp issues

Hello, Im looking for someone to shed some light on an issue I've been having for months now. I am using a coco-Soy blend from this local manufacture here in my city. I've been having issues in getting a great HOT THROW scent on my candles. I've tried low temps at 120 the lowest and 175 being the highest. The way I've been doing It, has been that I will add the FO at 180, then pour into the jar at 175 or at a Lower temp 165 , 135 and 120. and still no hot throw. the cold throw, has been great. I also been using CD 7 wick for a 9oz jar,  diameter of 2.88 in and a circumference of 9 in. I would appreciate any advice or tips.Thank you. 

Pouring temp has nothing to do with hot throw,  So, don't waste your time on that. 

If you have good CT, then that means quality of your oil is good.  So, you don't have to worry about quality of your FO.

You are adding FO at 180, and that sounds about right.  Just make sure you mix them really well.

There are several coco-soy waxes out there, and all are different.  No one can suggest anything without knowing your wax.

Correct wick type and size would be the biggest factor behind great HT.  Since I don't know which coco-soy wax you are using, all I can suggest is to find the wick that is designed to be used for vegetable waxes.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kenken01 said:

Hello, Im looking for someone to shed some light on an issue I've been having for months now. I am using a coco-Soy blend from this local manufacture here in my city. I've been having issues in getting a great HOT THROW scent on my candles. I've tried low temps at 120 the lowest and 175 being the highest. The way I've been doing It, has been that I will add the FO at 180, then pour into the jar at 175 or at a Lower temp 165 , 135 and 120. and still no hot throw. the cold throw, has been great. I also been using CD 7 wick for a 9oz jar,  diameter of 2.88 in and a circumference of 9 in. I would appreciate any advice or tips.Thank you. 

In that size jar, typically a cd7 is quite large in the majority of my fragrances with coconut predominant waxes.

without knowing exactly which coconut soy blend you use it is a shot in the dark.

generally speaking, I start with CDN wicks in coconut blends. The chemical treatment of CDN helps them better withstand the natural waxes and burn more efficiently. Too hot of a flame and too much melt pool will kill your HT every time.

for that size jar with 99% of my fragrances I would start with a CDN5. It’s to full melt pool within the first 2-3 burns adjust down CDN4.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BusyBee said:

Pouring temp has nothing to do with hot throw,  So, don't waste your time on that. 

If you have good CT, then that means quality of your oil is good.  So, you don't have to worry about quality of your FO.

You are adding FO at 180, and that sounds about right.  Just make sure you mix them really well.

There are several coco-soy waxes out there, and all are different.  No one can suggest anything without knowing your wax.

Correct wick type and size would be the biggest factor behind great HT.  Since I don't know which coco-soy wax you are using, all I can suggest is to find the wick that is designed to be used for vegetable waxes.

Thank you! yea my manufactures don't really know the how much of soy or coco waxes they put in. they sent me 5 to 6 wax samples. all soy and coco wax but different textures and melting points. Literally sent me a shipment and told me to test and let them which wax they want me to make. 

9 hours ago, TallTayl said:

In that size jar, typically a cd7 is quite large in the majority of my fragrances with coconut predominant waxes.

without knowing exactly which coconut soy blend you use it is a shot in the dark.

generally speaking, I start with CDN wicks in coconut blends. The chemical treatment of CDN helps them better withstand the natural waxes and burn more efficiently. Too hot of a flame and too much melt pool will kill your HT every time.

for that size jar with 99% of my fragrances I would start with a CDN5. It’s to full melt pool within the first 2-3 burns adjust down CDN4.

Thank you! I have different coco-soy waxes, that I am not sure of the amount that was put into these waxes. Some of these samples, I can tell that some are smoother and creamier than others. and others are more smooth and solid. Ive reached out to my manufacture to get more info on these waxes but they are not sure. of the messurements that were added. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kenken01 said:

Thank you! yea my manufactures don't really know the how much of soy or coco waxes they put in. they sent me 5 to 6 wax samples. all soy and coco wax but different textures and melting points. Literally sent me a shipment and told me to test and let them which wax they want me to make. 

So, you are working with custom blends.  Good luck!  😉

I use Coconut 83 straight without any more additive and GB 464 with little bit of palm wax added.  And, I find that Helix works best for my waxes.  

I did tried to mix coconut & soy together, and Helix burns nicely in coco-soy mix.  But coco-soy's HT was not as good as straight coconut or soy/palm blend.

On 4/23/2021 at 5:08 AM, BusyBee said:

So, you are working with custom blends.  Good luck!  😉

I use Coconut 83 straight without any more additive and GB 464 with little bit of palm wax added.  And, I find that Helix works best for my waxes.  

I did tried to mix coconut & soy together, and Helix burns nicely in coco-soy mix.  But coco-soy's HT was not as good as straight coconut or soy/palm blend.

Where do you even get helix wicks from? I've never seen them at any supplier I've used in USA.

15 hours ago, ErronB said:

Where do you even get helix wicks from? I've never seen them at any supplier I've used in USA.

I got it from Atkins & Pearce.  Wick It & Wicks Unlimited might have them too after Precision closure.

• Like 1