Have You Read the Terms page of Wooden Wick co? You should.

TallTayl

Had a gander through the Term and Conditions of the woooden wick co and decided to never use their products ever. I wonder how many of these "terms" are legal and enforceable.

https://woodenwick.com/pages/terms-conditions

NON-EXCLUSIVE LICENSE AGREEMENT

This License Agreement (hereinafter, “Agreement”) is a legal contract between you (either an individual or a single business entity, hereinafter referred to as “Licensee”) and Wood Candle Wick Technologies, Inc., a California corporation dba The Wooden Wick Co. (hereinafter, “Licensor”) for the Lumetique Wooden Wick Technology.   

Here's an eye popper: Right to audit your business at will. 

1. Audit. Upon at least ten (10) Business Days prior written notice from Licensor, Licensor shall have the right, during normal business hours, to bring in any consultants and personnel it deems appropriate, including certified public accountants, to audit Licensee's books and records to ensure integrity and compliance with this Agreement. Licensee shall provide reasonable cooperation with such audit.

And another that prohibits you from buying/selling or using any other wick assumed under their patent umbrella. It also encompasses the provision of buying from someone other than WWCo. This could apply to destashing groups. You would become a criminal for offloading wicks you do not use, buying those you need. So, if your much needed wicks are backed up from their site, and you buy some in a pinch from a destash group or even a kind friend, well, you're in violation. Consequences? Not sure... Don't care to find out.

1. Exclusivity. So long as Licensee is using the Lumetique Wooden Wick Technology, Licensee shall purchase wooden wicks exclusively from Licensor.  In addition, as of the effective date of this Agreement and so long as Licensee is using the Lumetique Wooden Wick Technology, Licensee shall only distribute, market and sell wooden wicks purchased from Licensor.

If you are working with stockists under a manufacturing agreement, they reserve the right to "out" you and the stockist.

1. Right to Disclose.  Licensee agrees that Licensor may disclose in writing, or through use of Licensee’s logo(s), the identity of Licensee.

Thoughts?

• Shocked 3

On 4/8/2021 at 3:56 PM, TallTayl said:

Had a gander through the Term and Conditions of the woooden wick co and decided to never use their products ever. I wonder how many of these "terms" are legal and enforceable.

https://woodenwick.com/pages/terms-conditions

NON-EXCLUSIVE LICENSE AGREEMENT

This License Agreement (hereinafter, “Agreement”) is a legal contract between you (either an individual or a single business entity, hereinafter referred to as “Licensee”) and Wood Candle Wick Technologies, Inc., a California corporation dba The Wooden Wick Co. (hereinafter, “Licensor”) for the Lumetique Wooden Wick Technology.   

Here's an eye popper: Right to audit your business at will. 

1. Audit. Upon at least ten (10) Business Days prior written notice from Licensor, Licensor shall have the right, during normal business hours, to bring in any consultants and personnel it deems appropriate, including certified public accountants, to audit Licensee's books and records to ensure integrity and compliance with this Agreement. Licensee shall provide reasonable cooperation with such audit.

And another that prohibits you from buying/selling or using any other wick assumed under their patent umbrella. It also encompasses the provision of buying from someone other than WWCo. This could apply to destashing groups. You would become a criminal for offloading wicks you do not use, buying those you need. So, if your much needed wicks are backed up from their site, and you buy some in a pinch from a destash group or even a kind friend, well, you're in violation. Consequences? Not sure... Don't care to find out.

1. Exclusivity. So long as Licensee is using the Lumetique Wooden Wick Technology, Licensee shall purchase wooden wicks exclusively from Licensor.  In addition, as of the effective date of this Agreement and so long as Licensee is using the Lumetique Wooden Wick Technology, Licensee shall only distribute, market and sell wooden wicks purchased from Licensor.

If you are working with stockists under a manufacturing agreement, they reserve the right to "out" you and the stockist.

1. Right to Disclose.  Licensee agrees that Licensor may disclose in writing, or through use of Licensee’s logo(s), the identity of Licensee.

Thoughts?

Thanks for shedding light on this. This is disturbing news, take about over reach and getting all up in your business. To be blunt, I can't stand and do not tolerate or go along with such nonsense, I don't need that in my life. Next thing you know they will claim a royalty fee on all their wicks that you sell in your candles. I've not been buying from this company and I certainly will not in the future now. I'm canceling them, LOL! 😄 Guess we should all start paying more attention to companies we deal with to see if they have crazy policies or terms.

Edited by Laura C
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I was just going to ask a question about wood wicks. Other than you a candle la label printed with their trademark name, how in the world are they going to know what the heck is in your candle? I guess that is what they are trying to discourage maybe with the thought if a homemade candle has their name on it, and a house burns down they are not responsible. 

Aren't they the people who have the patent on all the wooden wicks? So if you purchase from Lone Star, isn't it their product or do other people make wood wicks? 

• 2 months later...

On a positive note... did you know you can make any product in your own home that is patented? THIS MEANS anyone can legally make their own wood wicks for private use as long as you don’t offer them for sale. 

Sooooo crafters... eBay “wood veneer” and you’ll have a lifetime supply of  wooden wicks for approximately $25!! The only difference is you may try creating different thicknesses of wicks using a sander. Also, if you want to create a more consistent wood wick, try gluing then ironing or heat pressing cotton material onto one side of the wood veneer before cutting it into wick sizes. 

There is absolutely ZERO treatment to wooden wicks and wood species only affects the pop and crackle...ONLY. There is no special technology behind wood wicks at all, it’s literally a piece of planed or sanded wood put into wax, that’s ALL! Just kick yourself for not patenting it first!

Yes, the wooden wick site verbiage is very aggressive and intrusive. If you google public information of Lumetique or the founder, Dayna Decker, you’ll see court cases where she has sued infringing companies. This is a good thing for anyone to protect their invention but a small time crafter doesn’t want the headache. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Thumbs Up 1

Whoops, i forgot to clarify. It is illegal to infringe on a patent for private use. If you are doing research... for about $25, you'd have enough wood wick material from wood veneer material on Ebay, for a lifetime of RESEARCH in your own home. Let me be clear, I do not and was not encouraging any illegal infringement activity. Happy researching all!

• Thumbs Up 1

I had fun testing wooden wicks, and some of them performed really well.  But I don't understand why anyone would be interested in using them in real production.  Who cares what they require?  And also, are the wooden wicks manufactured by others really illegal?  If they are, then why haven't Lumetique stopped Amazon and Ebay from selling them?  If they can shut them down, then they would be shutting down the biggest supposed to be illegal wooden wick suppliers.  I am guessing that they are just trying to intimidate small candle makers since they know they cannot go after Amazon and Ebay.

There is one thing that those people, who wants to use wooden wicks, should be aware of.  Remember this candle company?  They had to shut down their candle company due to law suits they got from their candles blowing up.  Ever since, they are trying to make money by selling that unreliable & unsafe wooden wicks to small candle makers.  

*One more fun fact:  If you look at Amazon and Ebay, then you would find some wooden wicks that shows "ECO" in description section.  But those are not actually Lumetique products.

http://daynadecker.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/innovations_01.jpg