Essential oil % load in candles

Whilst researching FO and EO in candles i stumbled upon a nugget of info regarding essential oil load in candles, which states less is more as in 3% is enough, i have no reason to not believe the supplier of said info but everything else that i have read states the opposite as in more than normal is required, what say ye.

TIA

Edited by Onyx-uk
word missing

• Onyx-uk changed the title to Essential oil % load in candles

Hey Onyx

I am not an expert but from my exp and research it depends on scent ... Lavender have nice and strong smell with 7-8% ... Neroli for me is fine with 6% and so on ... for Sweet Orange its 10%

When it comes to EO (essential oil) you must test it a lot... Wax - wick etc... is way way harder than the FO (fragrance oils) for me :D

19 hours ago, Onyx-uk said:

Thanks for the reply, only intend on making eo candles for our own use, with that said it makes sense to make melts instead as they release scent without issue.

And that's the smart thing to do, melts are just warming the oils which is totally fine, but 'burning' them in a candle is not the same. You have to make sure that the oils you're using are okay to burn in a candle because some of them can be toxic.

I wouldn't know where to tell you a good vendor is because I don't see the point in using them, fragrance oils for candles are so much better.

Thanks for the response erronb, the supplier/s we use state that what say sell or ok for candle use so just had a try just to see really but thus far i won't be making anymore eo candles let alone try to sell them.

• Like 1

Always check IFRA cert for safety limits.  ManyEO list cat 11 (candles and other non skin contact) at unlimited. 

lavender, lemongrass, fir needle, long leaf pine, etc, are some of my absolute favorites to use in candles. 

Thank TT for chiming in, checking for safety has long been standard practice long before this venture, lavender we use a lot and find it easy to work with, have not worked with many eo/natural oils but dipped my toe in as more of a learning exercise tbh, i made two eo candles to test everything the same barring oil % the results are still a bit meh for me plus the price of eo's is double ( at least ) compared to a standard FO so can't justifie spending the extra to make candles that do not perform, must dash i'm off to make some melts.

• Like 1