GB 464 vs Coconut 83 Comparison

Here are some comparison between Coconut 83 and GB 464 in case someone might be interested.

Coconut 83 hardens much faster than GB 464.  See below picture.  GB 464 was poured 15 minutes earlier than Coconut 83 in bigger jar , but Coconut 83 hardened much faster.

Picture115.thumb.png.f6af46994373779cb8148e4fcfd5b4e7.png

Below scale is in 1 to 10 scale.  Comparison was made all waxes in 12.5 Libbey Status Jar with 2.94" diameter.

Coconut 83 w/10% FO            GB 464 w/12% FO            GB 464 + 5% IGI palm wax w/12%                

CT:                                                           8                                          10                                               8

HT:                                                           9                                            6                                               9

Glass adhesion:                                     10                                            8                                               9

Top appearance:                                    10                                            9                                               8

Top appearance after burn:                      9                                            7                                               8

Best Helix wick:                                    #35                                        #60                                           #50

Melt pool temperature:                         138F                                     128F                                         124F

*Flame sizes of all of the waxes were less than 1" and had melt pool depth of 5/16".

GB 464 is about 8% heavier in weight than Coconut 83 filled to same line in same container.

For 2.31" 9oz amber jar, Helix #1 was needed for Coconut 83 vs Helix #35 for GB 464.  That is difference of 9 wick sizes.

*For 100% GB 464, I got better HT(about 7.5 in scale) using my own special wick with melt pool temperature of 124F.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BusyBee said:

Here are some comparison between Coconut 83 and GB 464 in case someone might be interested.

Coconut 83 hardens much faster than GB 464.  See below picture.  GB 464 was poured 15 minutes earlier than Coconut 83 in bigger jar , but Coconut 83 hardened much faster.

Picture115.thumb.png.f6af46994373779cb8148e4fcfd5b4e7.png

Below scale is in 1 to 10 scale.  Comparison was made all waxes in 12.5 Libbey Status Jar with 2.94" diameter.

Coconut 83 w/10% FO            GB 464 w/12% FO            GB 464 + 5% IGI palm wax w/12%                

CT:                                                           8                                          10                                               8

HT:                                                           9                                            6                                               9

Glass adhesion:                                     10                                            8                                               9

Top appearance:                                    10                                            9                                               8

Top appearance after burn:                      9                                            7                                               8

Best Helix wick:                                    #35                                        #60                                           #50

Melt pool temperature:                         138F                                     128F                                         124F

*Flame sizes of all of the waxes were less than 1" and had melt pool depth of 5/16".

GB 464 is about 8% heavier in weight than Coconut 83 filled to same line in same container.

For 2.31" 9oz amber jar, Helix #1 was needed for Coconut 83 vs Helix #35 for GB 464.  That is difference of 9 wick sizes.

*For 100% GB 464, I got better HT(about 7.5 in scale) using my own special wick with melt pool temperature of 124F.

This is fascinating. Thanks so much foe sharing such a scientific analysis. I use a combo of GW 464 and Coco 83, but after two bad batches of 464, I’m about ready to move to Coco 83 entirely. Just wish it was a little harder. May try adding white beeswax to it to see how that works. I’ll report back. 

For anyone considering coco83, do not expect the same results. Coco83 is not the same from lot to lot.  Hardly. 

a comparison of coco83 between three different lots makes them seem like three entirely different waxes. (Because they are)

left to right: batches from April 2018, December 2020, feb 2021. Made in the same session. Cured several days. Burned 1 hr. Cd5 wick in jelly jar. Melt pool varies dramatically. Middle jar will begin to soot soon.
B12E4288-3142-474D-9164-1B48CB9B1C21.jpeg

February batch creates deep cavities, requiring about 1 oz of wax to fill. 

609BE46E-CD91-447A-B1C1-D5860C356BE4.jpeg

top 2018, made first. cools at a steady rate. Shrinking down the jar evenly to prevent dips and cavities.

middle December 2020 cools very slowly. Also dips down the jar to make a reasonably acceptable top. Requires wick down of several sizes.which impacts HT

bottom February 2021 cools almost instantly. Creates deep cavities. Does no shrink down the jjar and requires repour. Does not get clear in the melting pot even at high temps.  Hard to burn, requires wick up of several sizes.

47B15545-E4C5-40FE-8945-F74ED6BEAB55.jpeg

6 minutes ago, jancita said:

Interesting. I haven’t experienced that with Coco 83, but I’ve done many fewer Coco 83 alone. Do you think the age of each coco 83 lot may be a contributing factor?

It is a totally different formula with each lot. It feels different, smells different, melts different, etc. some are very greasy. Some are dry feeling. 

I think it is a wide spread manufacturing problem. 

goldenbrands (464, 415, 444) since 2016 has had massive inconsistencies from box to box.  It took at least a year for anyone on the manufacturing/reselling side to admit there were problems.  They all blamed makers. Felt like the lye problems of about a decade ago 🙄.I will never give GB another nickel. 

IGI seems to be having inconsistencies in many of their products from 6006 to 4627 to 6046.  so good old reliable paraffin is a gamble now too. 

This all has to be supply chain related. Shows how much we depend on China imports... 

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

42 minutes ago, franu61 said:

So basically, when we buy a batch of wax, we end up having to use half of it in re-testing.  Then when we've made a usable product, we've run out of wax from that batch....and have to start all over.... :(  

that has been my experience since 2016. Thankfully, baseline tests in naked wax shorten the curve a LOT. 

• Like 3