WICK RECOMMENDATIONS

Jbaby

Hello! I’m from Canada & new to candle making. Can anyone suggest which wicks I should be using for a 4 inch diameter candle jar thats going to be made with soy wax. I’m having so much difficulty A) Finding wicks that are in stock & SHIP to Canada & b) Every wick guide I use suggest different wicks each time! PLEASE ! Any recommendations are appreciated. I WILL BE WICK TESTING FIRST so please name a few!! Or if you guys know the best wicks that work with soy wax 3 wick candles in a 4 inch diameter jar PLEASE LET ME KNOW ! Thanks lovely’s !

Hello!

while this should seem like a super easy question, between soy wax variances and Covid supply chain issues it is pretty complicated. 

each brand and type of soy wax you test will have different wick requirements. Generally, though, for soy blend  I had the most success with CD and CSN (depending on the container, wax and FO).  I used CD the most in C3 and c1 and Midwest soy blends in tins. occasionally ECO wicks worked ok, and RRD burn thick soy.

All wicks are in short supply these days,  between supply chain shortages of yarn materials, wick tabbing companies closing up shop, and EVERYONE starting a new candle business it is tough for all of us just getting what we need.

A 4” wide container will likely need a double wick.  Things get tricky here balancing the heat of the flames with the consumption of the wicks. Placement of the wicks makes a big difference. Close together versus wider apart in the jar make two very different candles just because of how the heat is generated and distributed. 

• Like 1

Hi there, 

This seems to be the question of the day.

I want to make candles fast so tell me how to do it in one minute.

Candlemaking takes time.

There are so many things to consider. Glassware and shape, wick families, fragrances, temp to mix, temsp to pour, wax types - many soy wax types, additives.

Why don't you find out first what is available to you, and people can suggest maybe what you can try.

Right now everything is a shortage and different countries carry different supplies...