Stupid question... Do apple FO's really smell like apple?

SRez

Hi all, 

I have read here, where Mac Apple is a winner for most people's noses.  Where it's probably the best smelling, HT throwing apple FO etc. 

Maybe it's just me... but... I don't think it smells like apple.  To me it smells artificial or chemically or something like that... and not like apple.  I'm testing it in 464 at 6% cured for about 20 days. 

I'm also testing Hot Apple Pie.  Same thing.  Does not smell like an apple pie to me. Both are from CS.   

However, the Pumpkin Souffle I have smells great... almost like a burning pumpkin smell to me as well as the blueberry cobbler smells like blueberry something, the Peppermint Eucalyptus smells like the name says and the Red Hot Cinnamon smells like the Hot Tamales / Fire Ball candy I used to have as a kid... this has to be the most authentic scent so far that I have encountered.   

But the apple scents.... not so much apple.  Meaning if I walked into a room and you asked me what fruit it smells like, I would have to really think about it.   

I know I'm probably grasping at straws here... but am I expecting too much of these scents / flavors to smell like the real deal?

Can anyone suggest a close to authentic apple baked good?

Thanks, 

steve

Edited by SRez
adding

Unless it's been reformulated, I always felt like MacApple from CS is pretty realistic.  The Warm Apple Pie, not so much.  I blended it with Apple Harvest which helped.  Scent is so subjective. (I personally cannot stand Pumpkin Souffle).  A lot of the fragrance oils are reminiscent of their name, but not necessarily 100% true to it.  I always assumed the fragrance manufacturers just do the best they can.  Besides, a fresh cut apple isn't nearly as fragrant on it's own as an apple fragrance oil needs to be.  I guess that's the nature of creating something artificial to mimic something natural.  As for apple pie, I always liked the one from Peak which should be available at Keystone.  RE has a good one too, but they have several and I don't remember ATM which one is the one I liked.

Hopefully someone else can answer this question better than my musings.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

A lot of the fragrance oils are reminiscent of their name, but not necessarily 100% true to it.  I always assumed the fragrance manufacturers just do the best they can.  Besides, a fresh cut apple isn't nearly as fragrant on it's own as an apple fragrance oil needs to be.  I guess that's the nature of creating something artificial to mimic something natural.  

Yup.  I totally get that.  I guess I was thinking / hoping / assuming that the Mac Apple would smell something like a "Jolly Rancher" type green apple or some packaged, processed apple cereal or something like that. 

At one point, now that I'm thinking of it, the scent kinda smelled like that Apple Pucker liqueur when I got closer to it. 

I'll check out Keystone and RE as well. 

Thanks 

• Like 1

Baked apple, I'm not too sure...but have you considered blending a single note apple with bakery notes, like pie crust ? Because I can tell you that WSP & Candle Source both have a GREAT Green Apple oil, both throw good for me in parasoy. That might be worth trying :) 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WaxingPoetic said:

Baked apple, I'm not too sure...but have you considered blending a single note apple with bakery notes, like pie crust ? Because I can tell you that WSP & Candle Source both have a GREAT Green Apple oil, both throw good for me in parasoy. That might be worth trying :) 

I had no idea that there was a pie crust FO. Ha!  I might have to look into that. 

I think I'm going to get a sample of the scents you all suggested and try them in 464 and 6006 and see how it goes. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 1:31 PM, SRez said:

I had no idea that there was a pie crust FO. Ha!  I might have to look into that. 

I think I'm going to get a sample of the scents you all suggested and try them in 464 and 6006 and see how it goes. 

Thanks!

ICS has some good apple scents too. I think one of her apple pie scents is the same as baked apple from RE and she offers great prices for 4 ounce bottles. I happen to love apple pie from CS but like bfroberts says, it's so subjective. Oh, and ICS has pie crust too in case you want to try to blend one!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Belinda said:

ICS has some good apple scents too. I think one of her apple pie scents is the same as baked apple from RE and she offers great prices for 4 ounce bottles. I happen to love apple pie from CS but like bfroberts says, it's so subjective. Oh, and ICS has pie crust too in case you want to try to blend one!

Thanks Belinda!

Looks like I have a lot to try 😄 

As far as blending... would you do a 50/50?  Apple / Pie Crust?

21 minutes ago, SRez said:

Thanks Belinda!

Looks like I have a lot to try 😄 

As far as blending... would you do a 50/50?  Apple / Pie Crust?

I doubt I'd start out with 50/50. Maybe 75 apple and 25 crust to start with. I don't blend my apple pie scents but you're making me want to try LOL!

• Like 1