Best company for tart making?

Hello All! 

I'm new to all this, so need lots of advice from the experts , YOU!

1.  What supplier has the best fragrance oils and waxes ?  I'd like to keep the cost down also.😏

2.  What waxes is best for tart making?

3.  What is the ratio/formula for a strong throw (amount of oil per pound wax)?

Any helpful tips are so greatly appreciated! 😊

Edited by L'egant Studio's
correct spelling

Hi and welcome. This might be a tough question, everyone has different opinions and ways of doing things. There is so many different waxes, fragrance oils, suppliers. I think for me  my go to place for most fo's and my tart wax is Flamming candle, but there are a lot of other suppliers i just get a few or just 1 fo from. Its trying a lot and weeding out the ones you don't like and what works best for you.

Edited by Karen Ov
  • Like 1

I agree with Karen. These are questions that everyone has a different opinion about. Personally, I think Flaming is a great place to start too. I would recommend trying their tart wax, Problend 650. It's a para/soy blend. It holds a lot of fragrance and easy to work with. It'll work for shapes and clams. You can go from there as to whether you want to use an all paraffin or all soy wax as you learn more about the craft. You can get this same wax from several different suppliers. Virginia candle, Just Scent and Rustic Escentuals, and Scented Expressions are four that I know that carry the same exact wax for tarts and I'm sure there are more. 

As far as who has the best fragrances, you're going to find that every supplier has great FO's and duds and those are subjective too. For instance, I think the best birthday cake comes from Keystone (Peak) or Fragrance Buddy, and I don't care for birthday cake from Aztec, ICS or Lone Star, but a lot of people love their birthday cake fragrance. You'll find a lot of great information on here that will help you through your journey. Welcome to your new addiction!

These are some of my favorite suppliers in no particular order:

Aztec

Flaming

Texas Candle Supply

Nature's Gardens

Midwest Fragrance Company

Candle Science

Just Scent

Fragrance Buddy

Indiana Candle Supply

Scented Expressions and Pro Candle Supply are new to me and I've loved their fragrances too.

And there are many more but I can't think off the top of my head.

• Like 1

Since shipping cost can cost you more than wax itself, you have to locate the waxes that are available in your area first.  If you don't have wax reseller in your area, then you will have to find the nearest suppliers with best shipping rate.  Then you can choose the best wax among what is available to you.  I ended up using 464 because it is best among what is available to me locally not because it is the best wax.  There is no way I can spend $70 or more per box on shipping to make IGI work for my business even though many other candle makers love their waxes. 

There shouldn't be such thing as best wax or FO.  If there is such a wax much better than 464, then I would be spending $70 or more on shipping to get that wax.  We can make them all work well if we can get them to perform best.  Soy waxes can throw better CT, and paraffin & coconut waxes might can throw better HT.  So, definition of best wax will be depend on your preference of what performances you are aiming for.

It is same thing with FOs even though you might want to consider spending more money for the shipping since it is little bit lighter than waxes.

Same thing with container but this does not apply to you since you are making tarts.

• Like 1

I recently ordered sample fo's from them and the scents were not exactly asdescribed and very light.  The customer service rep I spoke with when ordering sid The ones I ordered were strong because that is what I wanted but when arrived and put in my melts they were NOT strong at all. They may be close to you but if your not happy with the outcome, it is worth ordering from others like Lone Str, Flaming, Aztec etc .

• Like 1

The Candle Makers store would be good place to start for you.  They do have two popular tart waxes which are IGI 4625 & GW 494.

You might want to look at Aztec also and The Flaming Candle next.  Their price of FOs and shipping fee is very good.  Sometimes it is better to have them ship to you if your nearest supplier is an hour away.  If you consider 2 hours driving + gas + mileage on car, then Aztec might be better choice.  Aztec offers variety of waxes that I even get one wax from them even though I am more than 2,000 miles away.

• Like 1