Coconut Milk Powder Soap Update

Candybee

Last month I made a few batches of CP soap using coconut milk powder I ordered instead of the regular Silk liquid coconut milk. I made the coconut milk per instructions and used it in each batch. According to instructions you use 1 scoop to 8-12 oz water. One scoop equals approximately .5 oz of powder. So for each batch I used one scoop as my liquid requirement was 16oz and I split the liquid; half coconut milk, half other liquid for the lye solution. The coconut milk ended up making each batch accelerate although I was able to manage multi color swirls.

So today I pulled one of the cured soaps out and washed with it. The soap lathered nicely and left my skin so nice and moisturized. I'd say its one of my most moisturizing soaps I've made and am impressed with the results and was not expecting it to be so moisturizing. I guess the 9 grams of fat per scoop (equals an 8oz serving of coconut milk) of powder is the reason. Silk coconut milk only has 4.5 grams fat per 8oz serving.

I am impressed with the lovely skin feel of the coconut milk powder soap. I guess I will continue to experiment with it to see just how much I can use before it causes my soap to accelerate. 

So the pros are that the powder is cost effective compared to the liquid milk in cartons and with its fat content can produce a lovely moisturizing bar of soap. The cons are it accelerates the soap batter but that may be fixable if I reduce the amount of powder. But then that would also reduce the fat content. Then again I can do an extra bit of superfat too.

• Like 1

I think I'm going to try half the powder amount and mix it into regular Silk coconut milk. Just want to see the results, figure the costs, and level of work/preparation. I am already hooked on the feel of that finished soap bar so thinking ahead...

• Like 1

Hi CandyBee,

How much powder are you adding to 3 pound batch? I found one or two teaspoons is plenty and then if you use sodium lactate, it makes a really nice soap.

Reduce the powder or add more water to stop acceleration.

I love the coco powder been using in soap for years and its vegan.

• Like 1

The oil batch is 56oz or 3.5 lbs. My soap batches end up being about 5 lbs altogether with liquid, lye, fats, fragrance, et al. I used the powder as directed on the label. One scoop (.5oz) of powder per batch. I use 16oz of liquid per batch but split that and made 8oz of coconut milk using one scoop of powder per batch as directed. So I actually used half the powder amount for the full liquid as I only made half of it coconut milk. So technically I should have used two scoops for the full 16oz.

So next time I am going to halve the powder and blend into liquid coconut milk and try that instead. If it still doesn't work I will continue to try smaller and smaller increments until I find the amount that works without accelerating my soap.

The feel the coconut powder imparts in the finished soap is worth testing for a workable amount that doesn't cause the batter to accelerate.

BTW, I also used the coconut powder as a creamer in my coffee and wow wee is it delish! I like it so much I will continue to buy it and use for my coffee as I get the best creamy coffee with a lovely note of sweet coconut. Mmmmmmmm!!!!

Edited by Candybee