Insurance options

Sndfrddy

I was seeing on a candle making forum on reddit that some people were getting candle product and liability insurance through some other sources such as Liberty Mutual, State Farm, Acuity, Geico and Indie. Seems so many new people are making candles since lock down there are insurance companies covering now. I sold for 10 years only using an LLC. But I am looking to get back to selling this coming year again but live in a large metropolitan area now and want added liability insurance, Does anyone have insurance coverage through someone not through soap guild or something?  Thanks!

Hi there! I reached out to a few commercial carriers mid 2020 for a liability policy - the Hartford, Nationwide & Hiscox. The Hartford wouldn't even quote me (I'm still a fledgling business and at the time did not have sales to speak of). I ended up going through Nationwide for my current policy, which is liability only. Because I wasn't able to get a lot of quotes, I'm not sure how it stacks up in terms of pricing. My background is in commercial insurance, and many years ago I handled claims for a major candle retailer - that experience scared me straight & I would strongly recommend liability insurance to anyone selling candles!  

Insurance policy & price will depends on your operation.  State Farm has decent pricing for candle maker who does online sales, and they don't offer insurance to other candle companies.  It might be best to deal with insurance brokerage firms where they can look for best deals and policy for you instead of contacting each insurance companies one by one.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2021 at 5:31 PM, BusyBee said:

Insurance policy & price will depends on your operation.  State Farm has decent pricing for candle maker who does online sales, and they don't offer insurance to other candle companies.  It might be best to deal with insurance brokerage firms where they can look for best deals and policy for you instead of contacting each insurance companies one by one.  

Could you tell me more about State Farm?  I checked yesterday and their website told me they wouldn't insure a candlemaker.  I'm not sure if this was affected by me being logged in under my homeowners/auto policy...could just be my local agent doesn't offer this coverage?

13 hours ago, anncal said:

Could you tell me more about State Farm?  I checked yesterday and their website told me they wouldn't insure a candlemaker.  I'm not sure if this was affected by me being logged in under my homeowners/auto policy...could just be my local agent doesn't offer this coverage?

State Farm could have different policy offering in different states.  In California, State Farm offer insurance for small home based candle makers doing online sales only (and I believe some sales at farmer's market was allowed).  Other than that type of candle operation, they don't offer candle company insurance.  My State Farm agent couldn't offer me a policy for my operation, so she refer me to other independent insurance brokerage firm. 

Thanks for the info. I'm in Austin, TX. I have State Farm for us personally as well. But haven't checked for my business. Everything is torn up and on hold right now after the snow storm here as we had the busting pipes plumbing issues so many here had. Hands are tied right now to do any candle work/business. I'll look into a referral possibly as you did BusyBee when the time comes. 

It does vary wildly by state, even by county in our case. We have had businesses in 2 separate states, and it is nearly impossible to get any type of business insurance in one of those. My candle business is located in the problem state (WV). I am insured through HSCG because of this.

2 hours ago, Sndfrddy said:

Thanks for the info. I'm in Austin, TX. I have State Farm for us personally as well. But haven't checked for my business. Everything is torn up and on hold right now after the snow storm here as we had the busting pipes plumbing issues so many here had. Hands are tied right now to do any candle work/business. I'll look into a referral possibly as you did BusyBee when the time comes. 

Please share what you find out. I'm in Cleveland, Texas, not too far from you! I am interested in what is offered in Texas too.

14 hours ago, Sndfrddy said:

I hope all is well and wish full recovery for you and your family (and all Texans) during snow storm crisis going on over there.