Fragrance oil manufacturers

fragbulkbuyers

Hi

We're bulk buyers of fragrance oils - but want to move closer to the manufacturers instead of middlemen. I'd much rather have just one supplier rather than split purchasers between the two.

I've narrowed down a list of suppliers

AFI 

Lebermuth

Natures Gardens

New Directions

Out of the 4 I'm most interested in AFI and Lebermuth

Does anyone have experience with these companies and (even better) are you able to do a vs comparison of the 4 (Especially AFI and Lebermuth)

Thanks

All labs can be good.  Lebermuth and AFI are both fragrance compounders, so I would contact for samples of th FO you use most and compare. Work with your particular agent and tweak until you are satisfied with the resulting product.  Most places have 25 lb min purchases these days.

The others in your list are not making the FO themselves (at least as far as I recall, things may have changed like everything else during Covid.)

if you haven’t already, just search fragrance compounders or fragrance manufacturers near me through Google.  You may be surprised just how many there are out there. 

Thanks for your reply.

Re Lebermuth and AFI - specifically I'm hoping to purchase readymade oils (without a need to tweak). 

The issue with samples is that it is very subjective for us to pick what is "best". So lets say we were to buy a "honey" fragrance oil. Both will supply this and if we got a sample I would expect both would be good.

Do they both have a great reputation (to the extent that if I were to buy 10-30 different oils at 25lbs+) blindly could I expect that the oils from both will be high quality. Are they both very well respected?

28 minutes ago, fragbulkbuyers said:

Thanks for your reply.

Re Lebermuth and AFI - specifically I'm hoping to purchase readymade oils (without a need to tweak). 

The issue with samples is that it is very subjective for us to pick what is "best". So lets say we were to buy a "honey" fragrance oil. Both will supply this and if we got a sample I would expect both would be good.

Do they both have a great reputation (to the extent that if I were to buy 10-30 different oils at 25lbs+) blindly could I expect that the oils from both will be high quality. Are they both very well respected?

My best success was sending what I liked to my lab to have them duplicate to my needs.  

When moving up to keg purchases you just have to put in the initial work to find your favorite. each lab has hundreds, possibly thousands, of “codes” (recipes) per fragrance name. “Honey” can be literally anything. They can all be “high quality” but not what I need.  I would not blindly buy a keg without first testing it in my products to verify it performs to my needs. 

If you are trying to resell FOs, then have you thought about how you would deal with SDS (Safety Data Sheet)?  You will have to disclose your supplier source on your SDS unless you spend a lot of money to create your own and maintain that SDS to hide your source.  If you have figured that part out, then AFI would be good place to start.

I am very small part time candle maker, but I would cut off the middlemen and go directly to the source as much as possible.  All those four you have mentioned has their price open to anyone to look at.  I would not buy from FO supplier when I know the price of direct source.  I see some FO suppliers charge 3 to 4 times of their FO costs, and I was able to figure that out because of their SDS.

If you want to become a FO supplier, then you would have to look into a lot bigger companies that do not deal with public or small candle or soap makers.  Because even small (and part time) guys like me are capable of dealing with bigger company than AFI or Lebermuth.  There are so many of them, so it is hard to mention just a few.  Big companies are mostly located in New Jersey and have sales office or headquarters in New York City.