Remelting candles to add more FO

Hi all,

need some advice on remelting a batch of candles I made yesterday using C-3 Naturewax.

I made 3 batches with 3 different scents, all using the same method in the same containers (200ml / 7oz jelly jars). Two of the batches have a great cold throw, the third is practically scent-less..

Now I'm thinking to remelt the scentless batch to add more FO, since the FO used is way more subtle straight out of the bottle compared to the other two.

I just wanted to check if anyone has experience with remelting a batch, adding more FO and then re-pouring? Is there any issues that come with re-melting/re-pouring? 

You are changing the candle formula by adding more fragrance and they may not burn the same way you tested.

it sounds like you did not do fragrance test candle before pouring batches.

I always test each fragrance with a test candle for wick size and if the fragrance is good enough.

Not all fragrance are the same, some will cause you to wick up or down, some are super string in wax and then some are not good in wax. It is what it is and you have to test.

Thanks for your feedback!

I did test all my scents, formulas, fo-loads and wicks before I started making them in batches so that was luckily not the problem :). 

I actually figured out the problem was unfortunately with my nose, not the actual candles.. I had all members of my family smell the "scentless" candles and to them the scent was actually quite strong. After a long walk outside to "re-set" my nose I smelled them again and yes, I could smell them now, not as strong as my family described it, but the scent is there. 

I hope this is not the beginning of the dreader candle-nose because going on a long walk every time before being able to smell my candles sounds very time-consuming..

Some FO is simply a lighter scent.  If this is strong out of bottle you might try remelting and adding a bit more.  C3 will melt at a low enough melt point to hopefully not burn off what's already in the wax.  I never used more than 6% (1 oz pp) in C3, if the fo didn't work I moved on.  Lighter scents are attractive to some buyers so bear that in mind if you are selling.  You also could have candle nose.

Glad it was just candle nose.

for all reading, Soy takes a bit to complete its ct potential.  Let them fully cure covered before you decide. Sometimes it takes a while for the crystal formation in soy to maximize CT.

melting to add more scent can create new issues that change the burn (and safety)  significantly. 

18 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Soy takes a bit to complete its ct potential.  Let them fully cure covered before you decide. Sometimes it takes a while for the crystal formation in soy to maximize CT.

I never knew CT develops during cure time as well! 

Thank you so much for this info. I cure all my candles for at least a week before selling so I will lid them and smell them again when cured!

28 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

Lighter scents are attractive to some buyers so bear that in mind if you are selling.  You also could have candle nose.

Very true! I'm considering marketing this candle as having a more subtle scent on my website :)

• Thumbs Up 1