Can I make a decent tart blend out of any of these waxes...?

Peggy T

I have a lot of extra wax laying around and am wondering if I can use them for wax tarts. However, none are paraffin. My point would be to use some of the extra wax I already have--not buy any more.😆

I have: 

• Coco 83
  • Easy Beads
  • Millennium Soy
  • 100% Midwest Soy
  • C-6
  • Beeswax

Is it possible to blend these into a good tart? I know they are mostly primarily designed as container waxes and would therefore be difficult to get from the clamshell. Could I add a bit of beeswax to harden it up? I don't use wax tarts personally so I don't know much about them.

Thanks

I haven't used any of the waxes listed but if they're container waxes I would think you'd need a pillar or votive wax to blend with them. I use 4625/6006 or 4625/4630 for my clams and a pillar wax for shapes. 

Are these all really soft? I doubt they'd come out of a clamshell without using a little bit of a harder wax if they are. If it's just for your personal use then maybe pour in a jar without a wick and scoop it out to put in your warmer. I've also seen people pour some into small tin foil cups like cupcake cups. That way you could use it for yourself and wouldn't waste anything or wouldn't have to buy anything extra.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Peggy T said:

I have a lot of extra wax laying around and am wondering if I can use them for wax tarts. However, none are paraffin. My point would be to use some of the extra wax I already have--not buy any more.😆

I have: 

• Coco 83
  • Easy Beads
  • Millennium Soy
  • 100% Midwest Soy
  • C-6
  • Beeswax

Is it possible to blend these into a good tart? I know they are mostly primarily designed as container waxes and would therefore be difficult to get from the clamshell. Could I add a bit of beeswax to harden it up? I don't use wax tarts personally so I don't know much about them.

Thanks

Sure! You have a lovely palette to work with there. 

I would start with coco83 or easybeads and any of the soy’s including millenium. 75% soy to 25% coconut wax and adjust from there. Each soy blend will bring something different to the party. They won’t shrink like a pillar blend, but should pop out of a silicone or PET plastic mold and be durable enough for usual handling.

Any of the coconut with beeswax should work too. I’d ballpark 75% coco wax with 25% beeswax and adjust as needed. 

you can try a soy, beeswax and coconut blend too.  I would probably not go over 5% beeswax with the soy otherwise the melt point may be too high. 

you can make tiny 100 gram or less tests to compare,  give them several days to really set up before you decide if you like the blends or not. 

have fun being a mad scientist. 🤗

• Like 1