Adding Soy to 6006...

So...I burned a test candle all the way down. The jar is clean - as far as...no wax left. But the jar was left black. There is about maybe 1/8th inch of wax left. The jar is a 16 oz Mayo Jar with CD wick and a 6% FO load. So my question is... has anyone found that adding soy to 6006 helped to have a "NOT SO BLACK" jar? Or is it a possibility that 6006 burns clean, and maybe I should change my wick type for that particular jar? TIA!!

Paraffin would not soot more than any vegetable waxes.  Any wax will soot if there is incomplete combustion and only way to prevent soot is to have right wick for your wax & FO combo.  You would need to find a wick that will deliver right amount of fuel to the end of wick.  No excessive incomplete combusted fuel released (cause of soot) into the air would be the key for soot less candle.  

Adding any other type of waxes to problematic wax can can control this capillary action.  Adding soy wax is not to solve soot problem.  But it might work because it can have an effect on capillary action.

About adding soy:  I really like the aesthetics and the burn of a parasoy that is around a 50/50 blend. To that end, I’d try adding 15-20% soy to get there.  It will have a creamier look and better adhesion. But it will also come with it’s own set of problems.  At that % of total soy there is a possibility of frosting, especially if you are using solid dyes. You’ll likely find a diminished HT with certain FOs, while others (vanillas and bakery mostly) will be richer.  Colors won’t be as quite as vivid.  You may also need longer cure times.  The burn will change, but if the wicking is off or other factors, you will still get black soot. CT may be stronger.

With 6006 alone, the jar definitely shouldn’t be black. If that’s what you’re getting, something is wrong in the system.  CD wicks can work very well in 6006, but like any wick, they can cause soot if it’s too big OR too small.  Is the wick self-trimming?  Mushrooming?  Are you using dye? If it’s heavily dyed, you might want to try one without dye to see if there is a difference.  Any number of things or combination of things could be causing excessive soot.  I’d be happy to help you troubleshoot.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Thanks Everyone. I know this is months later, but I have incorporated a better testing plan, which will enable me to get a better view at the wick performance. BFRoberts, what you said makes plenty of sense about the wicking. I have found that soy wax does indeed soot. You really have to test the wicks, because weirdly, just going up or even down, just one wick size can be strangely disappointing.  Thanks Again for all of your input.