Black Uline tins for candles

Hi,

I'm brand new to candle making, so please excuse me if this is a silly question.  I saw some cute back seamless tins at Uline and was wondering if they could be used for candles (s-19908 and s-17906) https://www.uline.com/BL_5648/Deep-Metal-Tins.  I tried to search the boards to see if anyone has successfully used these before, but I didn't find anything.

Also, I have read about using modpodge to seal the inside of candle tins.  Does this work to prevent discoloration of the inside of the tins?  I have a fragrance oil which is very high in vanillin which I would like to be able to use in candle tins.

Thanks!

• 10 months later...
On 1/23/2021 at 10:01 PM, TallTayl said:

Seamless tins should be ok for candles. 

I would try as-is. Often they are made with material that will not easily rust. Some are sprayed with something already. 

I have never had issues with tins rusting, ever. 

Can you tell me which tins you use? I have now narrowed down to 10 scents and 6 of them will stain. The higher the ethyl vanillin, the faster it seems to stain. But even the one that is a low % starts to stain after 3-4 months. I'm willing to switch to different brand if it solves the problem! (8 and 16 oz)

15 hours ago, Xersis said:

Can you tell me which tins you use? I have now narrowed down to 10 scents and 6 of them will stain. The higher the ethyl vanillin, the faster it seems to stain. But even the one that is a low % starts to stain after 3-4 months. I'm willing to switch to different brand if it solves the problem! (8 and 16 oz)

Most recently (last 7+ years) seamless 8oz deep, clear lid from  specialty bottle. Last order was in 2019 though, so with supply issues I can’t assure the ones sold today are the same. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2021 at 12:04 PM, TallTayl said:

Most recently (last 7+ years) seamless 8oz deep, clear lid from  specialty bottle. Last order was in 2019 though, so with supply issues I can’t assure the ones sold today are the same. 

I guess I should also ask if you make any that are reasonably high in vanillin/citrus/cinnamon that are known to stain