Double Wicking 6006

Ok - I have a question. I am currently double wicking the country comfort jar using 6006 wax. I am using CD Wicks. The Melt pool is good - as the wax has burned down to a half jar. The flames are small but at least not threatening to go out as before. But the Jar is entirely too hot. Do you find that ECO's or Zincs would burn cooler. Can this jar be single wicked using 6006 wax?  Any suggestions?  TIA!!

Thanks for the suggestions. So...I did a test with the 44z. - All was well until the wax burned down to half, then the Flames grew smaller and smaller -- and the wicks drowned. I never trimmed the wicks at all. How far apart would you suggest the wicks be. I had them both maybe an inch from the sides of the jar. They were gapped pretty far apart.- Should the tabs touch? - 

Ok Grani,

Here’s how you test. You are going to a half filled jar and wick for that.  Then you’re going to skewer holes and stick wick in the wax to test. You will be able to see if your wick is too hot or not, and then test distance between wick.

Try 1/2 inch between wicks and test.

On 1/25/2021 at 5:09 PM, Grani L said:

Thanks for the suggestions. So...I did a test with the 44z. - All was well until the wax burned down to half, then the Flames grew smaller and smaller -- and the wicks drowned. I never trimmed the wicks at all. How far apart would you suggest the wicks be. I had them both maybe an inch from the sides of the jar. They were gapped pretty far apart.- Should the tabs touch? - 

I’ve done tons of these.  I usually place my tabs about 5mm apart.  
How long did you cure?

Ok-- I only cured about 3 days. I will create another test, and let it cure longer. I am interested in the burn quality of the short, which I already experienced the above scenario, and the burn qualities of a longer burn time. I definitely need to see the difference. - Let me also ask you... Have you noticed a difference in the burn if using 8% FO as opposed to 6%? I used Georgia Peach and will back down on the FO although I was very pleased with the throw of the higher percentage. Less may just be more in this instance as other factors come into play. 

I do a minimum of a two hour burn, but three or four is how people burn candles! Now you might like 8 percent but 

better test that candle in warmer weather to see if it doesn’t sweat out fragrance. I forget the fo load for that wax. If it says tops 6 percent, it’s that for a reason.

I have a 464 candle I was fooling around with, the fo load was only 6 per cent. The candle was in warming environment and that candle has fo sweat like crazy and that wax is supposed to be able to handle high fo load!

So though it might be okay now, in Spring and Summer might be disaster.

I recommend you try LX wicks they do well in parasoy blends.

So, this is an example test of my experience with the zincs after 2 -3 hour burn. I never trimmed the wicks. The flames just got smaller and smaller. If you look into the melt pool, you can see it was to the edges just about at one point.  So, this particular test - made about 4 -5 weeks ago -  has about 1 oz. Mulberry FO.  6006 Wax. 16 oz. Apothecary Jar. I would not trust moving up to the next 44z wick size. Would it be safe to go with the 51 or even the 60 Double wicked?  --NightLight, I am going to make up a few more testers to include the LX series also so I can review the performance.

IMG_0285.JPG

IMG_0286.JPG

IMG_0289.JPG

Edited by Grani L

This tester in the Pictures is 6006. For the Fragrance Load - it says "High fragrance load - 8% to 10% fragrance loads are possible". But, I have seen candles sweating before. - So this particular test is 6%. But if I use 8% of an FO, should I add vybar to it?  The baseline is 6%. What makes 8% to 10% fragrance loads possible? Lighter oils?

58 minutes ago, Grani L said:

So, this is an example test of my experience with the zincs after 2 -3 hour burn. I never trimmed the wicks. The flames just got smaller and smaller. If you look into the melt pool, you can see it was to the edges just about at one point.  So, this particular test - made about 4 -5 weeks ago -  has about 1 oz. Mulberry FO.  6006 Wax. 16 oz. Apothecary Jar. I would not trust moving up to the next 44z wick size. Would it be safe to go with the 51 or even the 60 Double wicked?  --NightLight, I am going to make up a few more testers to include the LX series also so I can review the performance.

IMG_0285.JPG

IMG_0286.JPG

IMG_0289.JPG

I have never needed anything larger than double 44-28 and that was only a time or two with super stubborn scents. Usually 36z or 44-24 gets the job done.  51 or 60 doubled is probably going to be too big.  It does look pretty heavily dyed. Not sure if that creates an issue.