Best formula to make a black sculptural candle with silicone mould

Hi,

I am new to candle making and have been doing alot of testing with different waxes (soy pillar blend, palm wax and paraffin). Using black liquid dye and silicone Moulds.

I am trying to achieve a smooth, shiny black candle without mottling, white specs or frosting without any luck. I know black is hard to achieve but they are on the market and was wondering if anyone could help or give any insight as to what the best formula is to achieve what I am after? Soo frustrated and ready to give up!

I might also add that after testing the above waxes, paraffin seems to be the way to go as the colour is true to what I am after. I have used straight paraffin without additives,  melt point 60-63celcuis and pouring at 85-90 celcius (this left me with most part of the candle smooth and consistent with some areas white specks and mottling and bubbles) I am aware of vybar and have ordered this, waiting for it to arrive.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Open to anything. Thanks in advance.

I've never made a pillar candle but I think like you said, paraffin is going to give you the truest color. I  know if I have any soy in the mix at all that my dyes aren't as dark as I get with all paraffin. Have you tried 4625? It's a great pillar wax and you don't have to add anything to it. 

Thank you for your response! I haven’t tried 4625. I’m in Sydney, Australia and can’t seem to find a stockist here so may need to order from an international site. Have you ever tried black before? If so did it turn out well?

1 hour ago, eva002 said:
2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Can you get white beeswax? I dye white beeswax all colors, and mold into limitless shapes. 

I can get white beeswax. Do I need to add any additives or use it straight? Will I need to use a mold release for the silicone mold?  Can I also use beeswax in acrylic molds? 

Sorry for all the questions!

5 hours ago, eva002 said:

I can get white beeswax. Do I need to add any additives or use it straight? Will I need to use a mold release for the silicone mold?  Can I also use beeswax in acrylic molds? 

Sorry for all the questions!

I do not generally blend beeswax with anything except UV inhibitor if dying it.

Do use a mold release, at least at first on silicone and poly carbonate molds,

ask away! 🥰