Wick Size and Lemon FOs

Hi everybody, I've been making candles for a little over 4 years, and I've still never found a lemon fragrance that I like the smell of while burning. The cold throw will be lovely, and then change while burning. I am wondering if you have had experience with this and if you've found that wicking smaller/differently helps. I use mainly coco/soy blend waxes and ECO, HTP and CD/CDN wicks. I generally try to wick quite conservatively, but I'm starting to notice that I have less of the "icky" smell with SUPER tiny wicks. Tiny as in, so tiny you need to double-wick a 3 inch interior-diameter vessel. Anyone have thoughts or experience with this?

I don't use your wax but with soy I wick down 1 size for the heavy citrus or straight citrus to avoid a fuel smell.  I use cotton core wicks but the A&P series 60C or 62C in a 3.25" jar.  I love citrus scents so use them a lot.  Lemon Biscotti was one of my favorite scents when I could get it back in the day!

I don't know why, but the only wax that works for my citrus scents is 6006. I wick down and it's not uber strong, but just about passable for me without going into the fuel smell realm.as long as I don't go over 8% FO or it smells like butthole.

I also noticed that different wick series helps too. For me, HTP is the least offensive fuel smeller with citrus.

Two things to try... vanilla or patchouli. Both tend to change the burn just enough to make the citrus fuel less of an issue in most of my waxes. It does not take a lot, sometimes as little as a partial %.

fo lemon, I have used aroma haven/ rustic essentials Lemon Verbena in all of my waxes for a decade.  Never once got a fuel note.  

for orange, blood orange patchouli at daystar is a dupe of one I loved from the scent works long ago. It is a little more challenging to wick, but when you get it right it is heavenly. 

editing to add, ah/Re fresh squeezed orange is another that blended well in candles for me with no fuel. 

• Like 2

Thank you both for your replies! TallTayl, do you have any recommendations for which brand's Vanilla or Patch to try? (Also, I agree with you that RE's Lemon Verbena is very nice). Erron, good idea about lowering the percentage. I have it at 8%, I think I'll try 7% next, maybe with a smidge of patch.

38 minutes ago, chandelier said:

Thank you both for your replies! TallTayl, do you have any recommendations for which brand's Vanilla or Patch to try? (Also, I agree with you that RE's Lemon Verbena is very nice). Erron, good idea about lowering the percentage. I have it at 8%, I think I'll try 7% next, maybe with a smidge of patch.

I use whatever I have on hand.  Since I use patchouli EO in soap, I just use a few drops of that. What patch does is really challenge the flame.  Use too much and the wick will struggle to stay lit. Same with vanilla.  I bet several other resinous fragrances will do the same. 

• Like 1

Ok, good to know! I don't have patchouli EO but I just poured a little tester with 1% patchouli FO. Might have been too much, smell-wise, but I can adjust down from there. Just out of curiosity (and since I've read lots of your posts and respect your opinion!), what is your favorite Vanilla for candles? My current favorite is probably Vanilla Bean from Aztec, but I feel like I'm still looking for a Vanilla I really love. I prefer Vanillas that are more authentic to real vanilla beans to the bakery-type vanillas that tend to smell very artificial to my nose. I don't have a problem with gourmand fragrances, but for whatever reason, so many vanillas out there just smell cheap to me. I am happy to pay more for a more authentic-smelling vanilla, if it's out there! If anyone else has thoughts on this, please share!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, chandelier said:

Ok, good to know! I don't have patchouli EO but I just poured a little tester with 1% patchouli FO. Might have been too much, smell-wise, but I can adjust down from there. Just out of curiosity (and since I've read lots of your posts and respect your opinion!), what is your favorite Vanilla for candles? My current favorite is probably Vanilla Bean from Aztec, but I feel like I'm still looking for a Vanilla I really love. I prefer Vanillas that are more authentic to real vanilla beans to the bakery-type vanillas that tend to smell very artificial to my nose. I don't have a problem with gourmand fragrances, but for whatever reason, so many vanillas out there just smell cheap to me. I am happy to pay more for a more authentic-smelling vanilla, if it's out there! If anyone else has thoughts on this, please share!

Vanillas are tough. All smell pretty buttery to me.  We could try to get vanillin crystals and make our own, but would need to understand the other nuanced notes in an extract. 

I have been using Ultimate Vanilla from daystar for a while now.  It is a decent performer in my waxes and doesn’t get that funky oxidized stink over time as the bottles age on the shelf. 

I have a vanilla extract fo from an unknown source, but it is just too weak for anything. I love the smell of it and wish I could get something like it in a stronger formulation. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2021 at 4:54 PM, TallTayl said:

I have been using Ultimate Vanilla from daystar for a while now.  It is a decent performer in my waxes and doesn’t get that funky oxidized stink over time as the bottles age on the shelf.

Is Daystar still in business?  Their website has been funky for me since November.  I sent a text back then, and I didn't receive a response from her.  I'd also previously sent a text asking if she was done with the business and asked to buy her codes.  No response to that either.

40 minutes ago, KrisS said:

Is Daystar still in business?  Their website has been funky for me since November.  I sent a text back then, and I didn't receive a response from her.  I'd also previously sent a text asking if she was done with the business and asked to buy her codes.  No response to that either.

As far as I know she is 🤷🏻‍♀️

I have not ordered anything for several months, but I understand your frustration. 

• Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, chandelier said:

I placed an order on her website recently and it has supposedly shipped. I did email her and received no response.

It will let me add an item or two, and then the cart empties itself. I truly like some of her fragrances and I'd love to buy from her. However, with the cart glitching, the website not being http[b]s[/b] compliant, and the lack of response, I'm not willing to go down that road without some sort of acknowledgement from her that she's still doing this. :(

53 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

As far as I know she is 🤷🏻‍♀️

I have not ordered anything for several months, but I understand your frustration. 

Thank you. I don't buy enough for it to truly matter to her, so I understand her not getting back with me as well.

• 2 months later...

I've figured out the issue with the website. It would not work for me with Edge, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, or Safari.

It does, however, work with an extremely outdated version of Internet Explorer. Still no response to emails, voice mails, or texts.